AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Q70 the other day from Microcenter. Trying to pass the audio to my receiver over HDMI, but the receiver never shows up as an audio output. I have the Yamaha TSR-7850. The HDMI is plugged into HDMI 4 on the TV (labeled eARC) and plugged into HDMI OUT 1 (eARC) on the receiver. I changed the receiver settings to allow audio over HDMI (see attached picture). I have also enabled the necessary settings on the TV to support this (see attached pictures) but no matter what I do, the receiver never appears as an output device. I've even tried plugged the HDMI into the HDMI IN ports on the receiver.

What is the proper way to set up HDMI eARC between the Q70 and the receiver? I've followed the guides on Samsung's site but have had no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did you succeeded in linking the two? Have you got a certified 4K cable WITH Ethernet? That's the cable that's needed with last gen D+M products for eArc connection. That's all I know!
Regards
Enjoy Your 1st Class system!
Alessandro

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Do you have HDMI control to "on"? I think that's the same as CEC. On my Onkyo I believe it had to be on in order to pass through output from the TV via earc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you succeeded in linking the two? Have you got a certified 4K cable WITH Ethernet? That's the cable that's needed with last gen D+M products for eArc connection. That's all I know!
Regards
Enjoy Your 1st Class system!
Alessandro
Yes, finally got it working! Was using all the right hardware in all the right spots, got my settings mixed up.
Do you have HDMI control to "on"? I think that's the same as CEC. On my Onkyo I believe it had to be on in order to pass through output from the TV via earc.
That fixed it. HDMI OUT had to be off and HDMI Control had to be on. Am I crazy for misunderstanding? It clearly says the HDMI OUT setting "Enables/disables the audio output from a TV connected to the HDMI OUT jack", I interpret this as the audio coming from the TV to the receiver. But for some reason it needs to be disabled? I'm baffled.

Any way to verify that it's using eARC and not just ARC?

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Yes, finally got it working! Was using all the right hardware in all the right spots, got my settings mixed up.

That fixed it. HDMI OUT had to be off and HDMI Control had to be on. Am I crazy for misunderstanding? It clearly says the HDMI OUT setting "Enables/disables the audio output from a TV connected to the HDMI OUT jack", I interpret this as the audio coming from the TV to the receiver. But for some reason it needs to be disabled? I'm baffled.

Any way to verify that it's using eARC and not just ARC?
Stream something that has dolby Atmos. Your AVR should show that it's processing Atmos.

·
Registered
28,462 Posts
^^Not necessarily. I don't have any eARC receivers or TV's and I can get Dolby Atmos over DD+ from Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney+ or Vudu. It just shows up as Dolby Atmos on my AVR display. To my knowledge none of the streaming services send uncompressed audio yet. It's all sent over DD+.

You're going to need a Blu Ray player or gaming device that can send uncompressed audio such as TrueHD or DTS-HD or DTS:X to the AVR via eARC to be sure.

Reactions: vn800art
1 - 6 of 6 Posts