AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not messed with the mic and the auto set up of my receiver that much just checked things out once.

BUT I noticed that when I did tinker with it , that is sets the volumes of each speaker to what it wants OR thinks is best. IS it really best? who knows??

What has me puzzled is...OK maybe its ok for theater, but what about when you want to listen to music? I want all the speakers setup to full volume like I always have it.

BUT in order to do this you have to go in and turn each speaker up individually every time. WHY? Shouldnt there be a couple different settings where you can have "Theater mode" and "music" mode so you dont have to mess with it?

I have an older Pioneer VSX-52TX Elite..came out in 04 or 05..

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
There are no set up differences between "music" and "theater". There would be set up differences between two-channel and multi-channel playback (as well as different requirements for in-room acoustics).

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
I'm not aware of any differences in calibrating an audio system for movies or music. With both types of audio, you want to match the levels of all your speakers at the listening position.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/18254269

I'm not aware of any differences in calibrating an audio system for movies or music. With both types of audio, you want to match the levels of all your speakers at the listening position.

BUT regardless you are pushing some speakers harder than you are others. I also dont like how my receiver only lets you turn the volume up so far with certain settings.

Whatever happen to the user having FULL CONTROL of things? Im going to upgrade my receiver possibly next year. Im gonna try and find a receiver that lets me have total control again like in the old days..I dont like all this newer stuff.

Sorry if I sound crazy, but I came from a Pioneer receiver from 1991 that was awesome and wish hadnt went out. I would have never bought another one..

·
Registered
30,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18254185

I have not messed with the mic and the auto set up of my receiver that much just checked things out once.

BUT I noticed that when I did tinker with it , that is sets the volumes of each speaker to what it wants OR thinks is best. IS it really best? who knows??

The automatic calibration system can't know what you consider "best", since that is subjective. The only thing it can do is make sure that all the speakers sound like they are equidistant from you (same volume level, same arrival time). That's standard calibration.
Quote:
What has me puzzled is...OK maybe its ok for theater, but what about when you want to listen to music? I want all the speakers setup to full volume like I always have it.

What do you mean by "full volume"?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/18254529

What do you mean by "full volume"?

Each speaker can be turned up to +10 or down to -10. I keep all mine up on +10 accept my subs which are far too loud.

·
Registered
30,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18254548

Each speaker can be turned up to +10 or down to -10. I keep all mine up on +10 accept my subs which are far too loud.

Those are arbitrary settings and turning them all to the highest setting will throw off the balance of your set-up. For example: putting all three front speakers at +10 could give them three different volume levels, because each is in a different acoustical environment: one could be closer to a corner, one is near a large baffle (the TV screen), etc. Why would you want each of your speakers to be at a different volume level?

Better to adjust each speaker so that all of them measure the same volume level (irrespective of where each speaker's individual number ends up at). Then, if you want everything louder, just turn up the main volume knob. That's what it's for.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
If you prefer different setups for music and movies, you can make that happen with many receivers, although it will require some thought and understanding of how the receiver works.

Some receivers have different setups for each listening mode. Set a listening mode for movies and a different one for music.

Or, if your AVR allows for different setups on each input, you could run a second connection from the player to the AVR and use one when watching movies and the other when listening to music.

There are lots of possibilities.

Regardless, you should start by calibrating your system with an SPL meter so that all speakers play at the same volume at the primary listening position.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18254548

Mine goes to 11.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18257551

Mine goes to 11.

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

LONG LIVE SPINAL TAP

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I find that really sux about these new receivers is you set things up be it MCACC ...be it speaker size ect...and not only does it tell you how loud each speaker is volumed, BUT it also has control of the actual volume..Like it may only go up to +3 instead of how ever high you want to turn it up.

Now I know I can turn each speaker up individually but when using other settings WHY limit how loud you can turn up the volume control? Whats up with these new receivers??

MAN sometimes I really wish my old VSX 9700S didnt go out. It was about as awesome a receiver as you could get to me. PLUS you could still use a separate eq on it. awwwee....the good ol days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts