AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a fan of home theater since about 1997 when I had a laserdisc player and a velodyne sub under my bed in my barracks room. I have spent around 2 years buying and putting my home theater together and today it is done.

I would like to share with you the challenges and the learning that took place during this time.

First off I do not have a dedicated home theater room so I had many of the problems a lot of you probably have with speaker placement. the most obvious problem for me was not having a side wall and having my sofa only a foot and a half from my back wall.

I struggled with not only what surround sound speakers to get how do I place them? I solved this problem with two main things. I used tall speaker stands...nearly 6ft high, and I purchased the Infinity ES250 which is a dipole/bipole/monople speaker. This allowed me to place my rear speakers to the side and rear of my sofa on the stands. I set them all to dipole mode which really makes them disappear which is important being that they are so close to my listening position. The stands raise them about 3 feet above ear height while seated.

for my Subwoofer I chose the SVS PB12 NSD/2 It is an excellent ported sub it has duel subs and a lot of power which is good since I dont have a side wall it flattens the response in my large room. I have it located directly behind my couch which is nice. Main problem here was being able to localize the base. I set it up configured it I still had problems localizing the bass until I got my front sound stage working properly.

for my fronts I have the JBL studio L880 and for the center the JBL studio LC1. The 880's are on the floor and the center is in front of my plasma TV on a stand. This puts the l/c/r speakers in line with each other making for seamless pans from left to right.

For my receiver I chose the Onkyo TXSR-875 THX Ultra2 certified receiver. This is the heart of everything and is an excellent choice of receiver. It is located in a stand under my TV with a small dual electronics fan setting on top of it to vent heat.

My biggest challenge in configuring my hometheater was setting the crossovers properly. I first tried all speakers at 80hz since that is recommended by THX. I found this worked pretty good but it did not provide that real punchy midbass you hear in theaters. In my setup because my svs sub was so powerful I usually got tapered off sound just above the point the sub kicked in then it was real powerful low bass.

This annoyed me so I learned a thing or two about crossovers and applied some of my classical music background to figuring it out. What I discovered was that there is a lot of information about crossovers but not much about the roll off that occurs from the speaker to the sub.

You may have heard that the crossover is not a "brickwall" but that the sound gradually transitions to the sub. But to go into more depth on that the roll off. It is a 24db/octave roll off. In music an octave denotes 8 or 8 notes in a scale. This isnt the end of a scale however as scales are actually 3 octaves or 24 notes. In a speaker it is very important that this roll off occurs early enough in a speaker as to not begin reducing its volume due to the speakers natural cuttoff point.

for example if I have a speaker capable of playing down to 30hz flat. then I need start rolling that off at about 60hz so that rolloff occurs in the speaker with no loss in db or volume. if I rolled it off at 40hz there would be an audible dip in volume between the roll off and when the sub kicked in.

What I needed to know about my speakers wasnt actually in the manual that came with them. I needed to know at what point my speaker actually starts to lose volume not how low it can techinically go. So for me I discovered that setting my front speakers to 60hz was perfect. setting my surrounds and center channel to 120hz was perfect and setting my low pass filter to 120hz was best.

you may wonder why would I set my low pass so high. Perhaps you think the bass freq is to high and that it will be more localizable. In fact the opposite is true. Since my speakers are crossed over at the appropriate freq the transition to the sub actually occurs around 60hz, and there is hardly any LFE info sent to the sub over 80hz by the receiver.

The result off all this is that I have no audible dip in freq or response in the mid bass region the bass from the sub and the bass put out by the front speakers blend perfectly causing a great amount of bass energy comming from both behind and in front my couch.

I enjoy my home theater a lot and I learned a lot while I set it up. Hopefully some of the information i wrote here will help someone else but for now I need to go watch another movie

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hiya Oledurt,

Whilst reading your personal experiences from 1997 onwards I was deeply impressed by what you wrote.

And have learned a few things about speaker placement and you have confirmed my thought's about the 80 to 120hz (I agree.)

I realise that I will have to spend a lot of time in choosing the speakers that please me most, or I find the most suitable for my needs.

My short list is as follows : B&W (new 600 series.) / Spender Package or maybe M&K (??)

If not these then my mind is open to try another Manufacturer, the main thing is that I am patient with my listening, demonstration tests.

I look forward to hearing from you again at your convenience, as I think you have gone through a number of experiences, which would be a pleasure to read about (from yourself at some stage.)

Kindest Regards

From Mark, a stranger in the UK'

I loved the way you ended your thread friend ''PERFECT''

I enjoy my home theater a lot and I learned a lot while I set it up. Hopefully some of the information i wrote here will help someone else but for now I need to go watch another movie

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher054 /forum/post/13004067

Hiya Oledurt,

Whilst reading your personal experiences from 1997 onwards I was deeply impressed by what you wrote.

And have learned a few things about speaker placement and you have confirmed my thought's about the 80 to 120hz (I agree.)

I realise that I will have to spend a lot of time in choosing the speakers that please me most, or I find the most suitable for my needs.

My short list is as follows : B&W (new 600 series.) / Spender Package or maybe M&K (??)

If not these then my mind is open to try another Manufacturer, the main thing is that I am patient with my listening, demonstration tests.

I look forward to hearing from you again at your convenience, as I think you have gone through a number of experiences, which would be a pleasure to read about (from yourself at some stage.)

Kindest Regards

From Mark, a stranger in the UK'

I loved the way you ended your thread friend ''PERFECT''

Thanks a lot for your nice words... I am constantly learning like all of you so as I learn more I will certainly share my experiences. Please tell me how your experiences go too...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
So for me I discovered that setting my front speakers to 60hz was perfect. setting my surrounds and center channel to 120hz was perfect and setting my low pass filter to 120hz was best.

you may wonder why would I set my low pass so high.

I think that adjustable lowpass in the Onkyo is only for the .1 input channel. It automatically sets the sub's lowpass for the front channels' redirected bass at 60Hz, same as the highpass on the front speakers. You can't set the two separately. This was discussed a bit in some of the Onkyo/Integra threads.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple more things I learned....

AVIA II is an excellent resource for tweaking your system. I bought my copy and discovered a major problem with phase on my sub after fixing it, its night and day difference.

I was also able to fine tune my crossover settings so that the speakers and sub are perfectly balanced...my previous settings where close but needed some tweaking now my fronts and center are set to cross at 70hz and my rears and 90.

I learned that although every system you buy these days comes with a sub the sub is the trickiest to integrate well into your system. A system with a sub not calibrated correctly sounds bad.

I have really been enjoying both my newer HD movies and my older moves as well. I can't wait for more HD movies they are just so much better then any regular DVD. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings would be awesome in HD with DTS-HD Master I cant wait....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts