AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was told by abet-satellite that I CAN use my existing DIRECTV dish itself. All I need is to disconnect the DirecTV receiver and put in the 6000 receiver. They told me that this is the one to use to point to the HD bird.

They sent me just the wiring and no instruction whatsoever on how to point to the bird.

Help, suggestions, ??

thanks

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Where do you connect the component cable coming form the Dish 6000 to the Mitsu 65907? Is it to the Input 2 or to the input that is marked as DTV?

thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that you can download pdf's of the installation manuals from the dishnetwork web site. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think they are ripping you off if you actually ordered a 6023 kit. (See my post in the other thread.)

I don't think you can use the a DirecTV eliptical dish (101&119) in place of a Dish 500 (110 & 119). Get on the phone and scream at the people you bought from.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which connector from the DISH 6023 do you use to connect to the Mitsu 65907.

I use the Component cable coming from the DISH 6023 and connected it to the Mitsu via DTV input but I didnt get any signal.

I was looking at the back of the Mitsu and it says there that the Input 1 and 2 only goes to 480p...

Ideas

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suprabilis:
Which connector from the DISH 6023 do you use to connect to the Mitsu 65907.

I use the Component cable coming from the DISH 6023 and connected it to the Mitsu via DTV input but I didnt get any signal.
That sounds right . . .

1)did you make sure it was in HDTV mode and not SDTV mode?

2) Did you make sure your model 6000 is set to output HDTV info in component format and not RGB format?

3)Did you make sure your Mitz is set to display info from the component input?

All three of these have to be set correctly. You may have to go into SDTV model to set #2 properly.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's the problem for now....I just powered it on and just trying to get a signal and I guess, SD will be the enable first thru S-Video until I zone in the HD bird and then signal will start flowing thru the component cable then to the DTV input in the Mitsu?

Damn, I hate the self-installation kit they have...no instruction at all. Even the manual, it doesn't even have section for setting up for the first time

thanks

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I am a DirecTV subscriber, I re-use the existing dish itself and just disconnected the Directv receiver...

I am still waiting for the second dish to arrive, the 20" which I believe is for the regular programming

okay, in the main screen, I selected 148, then transponder 19 then zipcode 94538 so it gave me an angle of 38 and azimuth of 202. When I am trying to move the dish , the signal indicator is not moving at all...totally no signal

thoughts?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I figured out one issue about how come no signal going thru the component cable..well duh, you have to tell DIsh 6000 receiver to output to the HD, 16x9 and then press the SD/HD button.

Okay, now back to main issue, I am not getting any signal at all

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and don't even start messing with the HD part of things until after you get your system set up properly with the satellites and receiver.

Now, do you have an 18" DirecTV dish? Or is it a 22" oval dish?

If it is an 18" dish, I can help you. I don't know enough about the 22" dishes yet.

You will have to remove any switches or splitters you have between your old receiver and the old dish. Gotta have a straight run of wire from the 6000 to the 18" dish's LNBF.

Turn on your 6000 and go into the setup menu and select the screen for aiming your dish. Since you do not have your Dish 500 20" dish yet, don't mess with the Dish 500 stuff right now. Just worry about 61.5 or 148 depending on where you live.

Put in your zip code and note the azimuth and elevation then go take a look at where the dish is mounted and see which bird you can point it at best. You have to pick one or the other. Can't have both.

Then you just set the elevation to the number it gives you and try pointing the dish in about the right direction.

Do a slow sweep from about 15 degrees on either side of where the bird should be in the sky and see what you get on the signal meter. It helps a lot if you can look at the screen while doing this but you can also use the tone to do it.

If you are not getting any signal lock at all and no motion on the meter, I would suggest re-checking your mount to make sure it is plumb and level. I would also doublecheck all your connections. You could also do a switch check and make sure it picks up the fact that you don't have a switch.

Sometimes you can tweak the elevation a little to get a better signal but in general the recommended elevation setting will get you some signal and you can tweak it later.

Good luck!

Oh, and one more thing. Don't install the 8VSB tuner (if you have one) until after you have your 6000 working with the bird and it has downloaded the software update.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

Since I am a DirecTV subscriber, I re-use the existing dish itself and just disconnected the Directv receiver...

I am still waiting for the second dish to arrive, the 20" which I believe is for the regular programming

okay, in the main screen, I selected 148, then transponder 19 then zipcode 94538 so it gave me an angle of 38 and azimuth of 202. When I am trying to move the dish , the signal indicator is not moving at all...totally no signal

thoughts?
This should work fine for just the HD bird on 148. The 148 has the program guide and the "barker" channel, so the receiver will function without the other dish (you just won't be able to get the channels on the other birds).

You need to point the elevation scale on the side of the dish mount to 38. Use a compass to find the 202 degree heading. Make sure nothing is blocking line-of-sight.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply. Been calling DISH cust service and they are a bunch of dumbasses. Everytime I call them, I get different answers. The latest answer I got is that the 18" regular DirecTV I have currently will not work with their network. Not even getting the 148 bird.

Here's another rub. Don't order from abet-satellite or satellitedepot.com. They totally mess up my order and shipping. I bought a 6023 which should come with a 20" dish and the DISH regular 18" with dual LNBF

Guess what, 20" dish is missing and the regular 18" dish that arrive is DIRECTV.

Dumb mofo..no wonder they have to recoun their own votes thousand times.

I ordered it first few days of June and didnt get shipped until Augus 6 and the receiver and the 18" Directv dish just arrived today without the 20". They told me it was shipped earlier than Aug 6 but when I push them for tracking number, the one they gave me says shipped out only on Aug 8. Bunch of liars as well

Anyway, tried adjusting the dish left and right, up and down but the signal indicator is dead zero, not even bouncing at 1%. I dont have anything in between the 18" DirecTV dish to the 6000 receiver, just straight cable., I even tried putting back the DirecTV receiver and after re-positioning the dish, it worked again.

So, is the 18" DirecTV dish not compatible to use with DISH HD satellite?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Your DirecTV dish WILL work. Start with Dish's azimuth/elevation and start sweeping the sky. Go a few degrees to either side of the azimuth. If you don't find it, raise the elevation a degree and try again. You will find that the elevation given on the setup screen is three or four degrees too low.

-Robert

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, here's the latest deal. I called satellitedepot.com and spoke with a "manager" Basically, he is apologizing and acknowledge that they "forgot" to ship the DISH 500 together with the 6000 receiver and the regular 18" dish.

The "manager" told me that BASICALLY, I FIRST need to have a "MAIN DOWNLOAD" to the 6000 receiver at the 119 bird and only after that , that I can aim for the 148 bird. He said that this download is necessary before I can do anything else.

So, basically he is saying that you cannot set up your 18" regular dish first for HD when everything is brand new without communicating first with the 199 bird thru the DISH 500

He also said that the DISH 6023 kit is not really a DISH product set but only for them. The 6023 is a 6000 receiver with DISH 500 and Dish 300 BUT since he said, that DISH stopped manufacturing the DISH 300 so they just use the DirectV 18" dish..... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

He promised to overnight the Dish 500 to me...so stay tuned....

·
Registered
11 Posts
great...

i ordered a 6023 from the on sunday, they called today to

say it was shipping out today.

fingers crossed things work out for both of us

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
follow up, follow up and follow up and make sure, they actually and really ship it out. They just give me a FEDEX number for the DISH 500 they "forgot" to ship with my Dish 6000 receiver. Just checked the FEDEX number and it is still invalid, meaning to say, it is not yet shipped and it is already 5pm EST. Look for Elliott and tell him about me so that he will know that this is not just a single consumer voice they are dealing with

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
He also said that the DISH 6023 kit is not really a DISH product set but only for them. The 6023 is a 6000 receiver with DISH 500 and Dish 300 BUT since he said, that DISH stopped manufacturing the DISH 300 so they just use the DirectV 18" dish..... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif
He is lying to you. The 6023 is a Dish product. It is a single box containing a model 6000, a dish 300, a dish 500, an installation kit, and two SW21 switches. That guy is ripping you off. Look at the 6023 kits from these dealers: http://www.satelliteone.com/dishsystems.htm www.dishdepot.com www.dishusa.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.