AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Sony HD-100 receiver, but I only have the old round dish. I can see only one satellite. My local dealer is booked 3 weeks ahead, so I'm wondering how difficult it would be for me to install a new dish, replacing the round with the elliptical. Is this difficult to set up? To aim? Any special tools? Art

·
Registered
71 Posts
Art,

You can save someone a lot of typing by going to the DirecTV web site first and then come back here to ask more specific questions for us to help you with. The truth is, it can be tricky to get the elliptical dish aligned so that both satellites' signal strengths are very strong. Some users have said that they prefer to use two separate dishes because they can be aligned independently.

http://www.directv.com/yoursystem/yo...082,90,00.html

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.directv.com/, go to the FAQ, and click on "Installations".

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down !

RickZ

·
Registered
957 Posts
Art,

follow the instructions closely and you should have no problems installing the elliptical dish yourself. I installed mine and it works fine. Still the installation is harder than the round dish. You can do a search on your topic here and find a lot of great info.

Highlights to your install.

take your compass and where you dish is to be installed and make sure you have a clear line of sight to the 119 satellite.

If you are replacing a RCA dish you should be able to reuse the dish support. The Sony round dish uses a smaller diameter support. Make sure the top of the dish support is absolutely level.

As the directions say, assemble and lock in the tilt for the dish before you install it to the support.

Be sure to use good quality coax and weatherproof connectors. I have used a Radio Shack quad shield and weatherproof connectors and they work fine.

Some folks (including me) did not use the cables which came with the dish which go from the Lnbs to the multiswitch due to a cable quality concern.

Make sure the dish and coax is grounded per the instructions.

If all goes well you should be able to do the job in a few hours. Still I spent about two hours last fall tweaking my dish to get optimal signal strength. That is something a installer will not do. I was able to raise signal strength by 8 points on both satellites.

Just a note. I have never seen where sat 119 has a peak signal as high as on sat 101. Usually about 10 points lower.

Good luck

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I did visit DirecTV's site. This looks complicated, but I may try it anyway. Couple of questions:

Should I weatherproof the multiswitch? Like putting it under the roof?

The ground instructions say to ground the dish and the entry point in the house to the same 'central building ground.' What the heck's that?

Art

·
Registered
957 Posts
Art, if you have the grey plastic case multiswitch it is all weather. The early guys like me got a aluminum box with blue sides which was not weather proof. The all weather unit is made to be mounted on the back of the dish. To protect mine from the weather I had to mount it under the eaves of the roof where it has worked fine.

Rick

------------------

RJW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.