AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I saw several threads similar to this, but I would like some advice on my setup, specifically if I need to purchase a separate switch, or if what is currently installed serves as a switch as well.

Here is the box I have in my closet at home:  http://www.suttleonline.com/catalog/cat5e-8-port-voice-data-patch-module.html

It is wired well, and labeled perfectly. I would like to run a patch from my DSL modem in my office to the box, and then be able to use the ethernet port in my living room for our cable box to aid in downloading on demand programming/streaming netflix much easier.

So the big question, do I need to purchase a separate switch in order to connect everything? If so, how would it be connected if the office is on port 1 and the living room is on port 2? Can I simply connect the two ports directly without a switch?

I've seen how amazingly helpful this forum has been - thanks for any help in advance for me!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
It's always:

modem -> router -> devices (or switch -> devices)

Router must be the first and only thing connected to your modem (assuming your modem doesn't have a router / switch built in). If the modem has more than one Ethernet jack, it's got the router/switch built-in.

Once you arrive at the router's uplink / WAN port, any other port on the router is just a LAN / Ethernet jack. Add switches to any of those, nearby or remotely, as needed. If you need to patch one room to another via the patch panel, you can do that without any equipment in the wiring closet. But if you want to connect more than one room, a switch must be present there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts