AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of building an htpc, and its quite a bit of work, so i am currently planning everything out...

One thing i am interested in but have no experience with is qos I am a noob in this area of basic networking.

What I would basically like is priority given to the htpc.

Now I am asking for help here, because my internet provider actually has this stuff blocked out, and i had to find and download original actiontech v1000h firmware. I cant ask my provider for help at all, I could also not get bridged mode working at the moment so i cannot use my own router.

Before I begin i do want to ask does qos just prioritize bandwidth of your internet connection? I noticed in the actiontech bandwidth limit it lists 24079kbps which is my internet bandwidth. SO i assume qos has no regulation over stuff being streamed on your own network?

Anyway here is a picture of the router setup, im a bit confused why a destination and source ip are offered. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on how I would set this up. Would I put my htpc ip address in the source or destination?

Below is a picture of the setup page.

http://imageshack.us/f/805/actiontechc.png/

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
QOS doesn't work over the Internet, and if you already have a gigabit LAN internally there isn't a reason to use QOS. QOS is beneficial if you will be connecting two LANs over a VPN and need to reserve bandwidth for a specific application like VOIP.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22229190

QOS doesn't work over the Internet, and if you already have a gigabit LAN internally there isn't a reason to use QOS. QOS is beneficial if you will be connecting two LANs over a VPN and need to reserve bandwidth for a specific application like VOIP.

Not sure what you mean by "QOS doesn't work over the Internet". QOS can certainly be used to prioritize internet access among various devices on your network.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats what I am trying to do, I might use netflix at times, and to avoid stuttering i want bandwidth given to the htpc.

Can anyone look at the picture provided and just give me a general guideline if its possible to do what i want with this router.

Lets say my htpc has a static ip of 192.168.1.70

What would i put in the source and destination ip, i dont really understand what the difference is.

Maybe someone can help me here.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
QOS will only work on your LAN Zon2020 and that is a function of the router not a SoHo switch. You can't guarantee bandwidth unless you have a "smart" switch. Unless you are regularly saturating a gigabit switch QOS will do you no good. Don't worry about QOS On your LAN. A top of the line bluray will only be about 50Mb/s which will no where near saturate a 1000Mb/s connection.

Now if you want to guarantee bandwidth leaving your LAN you can setup QOS on your router, but all the switches and routers between you and the remote site have to support QOS too. Most consumer level ISPs will not pass this information unless you setup a VPN tunnel.

Simply put QOS is not not a consumer level concern.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22232560

QOS will only work on your LAN Zon2020 and that is a function of the router not a SoHo switch. You can't guarantee bandwidth unless you have a "smart" switch. Unless you are regularly saturating a gigabit switch QOS will do you no good. Don't worry about QOS On your LAN. A top of the line bluray will only be about 50Mb/s which will no where near saturate a 1000Mb/s connection.

Now if you want to guarantee bandwidth leaving your LAN you can setup QOS on your router, but all the switches and routers between you and the remote site have to support QOS too. Most consumer level ISPs will not pass this information unless you setup a VPN tunnel.

Simply put QOS is not not a consumer level concern.

Of course you can't control what happens beyond your own router, but you can certainly prioritze within your own router the access to the WAN, which I think is what he wants to do. DD-WRT and many routers allow you to implement QOS on your WAN connection as well as on your LAN. No one is suggesting he can control QOS between Netflix and his own gateway. And I agree that with gigabit ethernet there's no need for LAN QOS for a consumer, but with far more limited internet throughput, WAN QOS can be useful at times.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22232676

Of course you can't control what happens beyond your own router, but you can certainly prioritze within your own router the access to the WAN, which I think is what he wants to do.

It sounds like that is what he wants to do, yes. But it's important to understand that the router does not direct traffic on the LAN... the clients and switch direct traffic on the same segment. The router is a bridge to another LAN/WAN. So unless he's got his media server on one LAN, and the HTPC on another LAN with a router inbetween, then QOS isn't needed or used.

Quote:
DD-WRT and many routers allow you to implement QOS on your WAN connection as well as on your LAN.

Yes, you are correct, but it's important to understand that QOS is pointless unless your remote WAN connection supports it as well. QOS on the LAN is really only good for saturated networks that depend on guaranteed bandwidth to specific services, like say a SIP connection to your internal Asterisk server. QOS on your WAN interface is only good up to your WAN interface. Say you want to reserve 25Kb/s for your external VOIP service, you can do this at your router level, and any other traffic leaving your router to the internet will respect that. But there will be no guaranteed bandwidth once it leaves your router into the tubes.

Your typical home network is rarely saturated with internal traffic, and with a switch it's point-to-point. Say you are transferring a movie from your HTPC to your media server... you can saturate a gigabit connection point-to-point from the server to HTPC, but at the same time you could stream a netflix movie on a second HTPC and not be affected at all by the data move, because the data is coming from a different source (WAN traffic).

So... here's a question to the OP: Why do you think you need QOS on your local LAN?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22231075

Thanks, thats what I am trying to do, I might use netflix at times, and to avoid stuttering i want bandwidth given to the htpc.

It doesn't work that way. Netfilx will stream as fast as your ISP will allow up to about 4Mb/s. It will auto-regulate if that maximum bandwidth isn't available and slowdown/speedup the bitrate accordingly. Setting up QOS on your router will not guarantee that Netflix will always deliver a 4Mb/s stream. QOS doesn't work over the internet.

All you would be doing by enabling QOS to your HTPC, is guaranteeing 4Mb/s outgoing bandwidth to the internet.

Stuttering is not usually caused by a bandwidth issue with netflix... it's usually more of an issue with your GPU or silverlight not supporting hardware GPU assist.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22232944

It doesn't work that way. Netfilx will stream as fast as your ISP will allow up to about 4Mb/s. It will auto-regulate if that maximum bandwidth isn't available and slowdown/speedup the bitrate accordingly. Setting up QOS on your router will not guarantee that Netflix will always deliver a 4Mb/s stream. QOS doesn't work over the internet.

All you would be doing by enabling QOS to your HTPC, is guaranteeing 4Mb/s outgoing bandwidth to the internet.

Stuttering is not usually caused by a bandwidth issue with netflix... it's usually more of an issue with your GPU or silverlight not supporting hardware GPU assist.

No one is talking about changing what Netflix streams.

But he can certainly use QOS so that if he wants to watch a video from Netflix, and his son is downloading a video at the same time, that his netflix connection gets priority over his limited bandwidth from his ISP. Yes, we're talking about giving his Netflix stream priority to that 4MBs of bandwidth from his ISP.

We're not talking about chaning the internet outside his own router, we're talking about prioritzing the limited pipeline between his router and his ISP.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
We're not talking about chaning the internet outside his own router, we're talking about prioritzing the limited pipeline between his router and his ISP.

The router cannot perform QOS on incoming data. Outgoing, yes. You have no control over the packets arriving at your router, and what order/priority they are in. So... like I said, setting up QOS to regulate Netflix bandwidth is not going to work because both router nodes (yours and Netfix... and every node inbetween) have to support and pass QOS. Your ISP's edge router will apply QOS and traffic-shaping to it's internal network (including your router) to regulate internal traffic. But, your ISP will ignore your QOS requests because they are not going to dedicate bandwidth to your whims. If everyone setup QOS for outgoing packets and the ISP honored those requests then there would no longer be any bandwidth for anyone else.
Quote:
But he can certainly use QOS so that if he wants to watch a video from Netflix, and his son is downloading a video at the same time, that his netflix connection gets priority over his limited bandwidth from his ISP. Yes, we're talking about giving his Netflix stream priority to that 4MBs of bandwidth from his ISP.

Netflix traffic is 99% incoming, so QOS on your router will have no effect on it. Your router has no control over the order/priority of the packets it receives from the WAN. TCP/IP is basically a "best-effort" technology

Your WAN bandwidth is almost always less than your LAN bandwidth, and the bottleneck is at your router, not on LAN traffic. Since you cannot control QOS outside your network, setting up QOS for incoming traffic like Netflix streams will never work. And in that same breath, using QOS internally on your LAN is usually not going to do you any good unless you have specific bandwidth you want to dedicate to specific services on your LAN. And in that case, the router is not involved at all! The talking-clients on the LAN need to respect QOS, and this is not adjustable to the average user on Windows. Application developers and Group Policy can dictate QOS between clients on a LAN.

Pay attention to points # 1, 2, and 3 in the below article. The last 2 points they are basically trying to sell you their traffic-shaping appliance, which is really only useful to business/enterprise admins :p
http://netequalizernews.com/2010/08/29/qos-over-the-internet-is-it-possible-five-must-know-facts/

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc#post_22233031

No one is talking about changing what Netflix streams.

This is what I was attempting to do exactly! But it may not be possible or i dont understood what qos does?

Im just trying to ensure if someone is downloading something and slowing down or hogging the internet connection, that priority is given to what the htpc is accessing, not from internally, but from outside such as netflix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts