Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When my system was setup a few years ago, the installers used an SPL meter to set levels for the speakers. Recently these settings were lost on my equipment and now the sound is very loud at DB levels on the preamp that used to be perfect. I have an SPL meter and am wondering how I should use it to reset these levels. Are there any guidelines?

I have BMW Nautilus 804 speakers, HTM2 center, CDMSNT rear surround, and a Paradigm sub. Marantz pre-amp and monoblocks.

I use the room for home theater as well as music.

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's a recent thread at HTF:

Thread

If that's not enough info for your, there are a tremendous number of threads you can dig up using the search function on this issue, both here at AVS and over at HTF. You could search using the term "calibration" or similar.

·
Registered
554 Posts
get a setup/test DVD...such as AVIA....and run through the chapter on setting speaker levels.

you basically want the same SPL from each speaker at your primary seating area.

actually you may not even need the AVIA disc if your marantz processor has a setup menu with test tones. in your setup menu, go to speaker levels...(or similar item)..and cycle the pink noise test tone through all 6 speakers, while you sit in your sweet spot with the SPL meter.

usually you want to set the test tone to approx. 75 db. Given the differences in speaker efficiency, wire length, distance from speaker, etc...each speakers output will vary a bit to allow you, -- the listener -- to get correct (equal) loudness and perfect imaging.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Receiver test tones are sometimes not accurate but it depends on the brand/model. At least with a test DVD, you know all channels are the same.

I haven't seen anyone mention the delay/distance settings. When I set up a friend's system recently, I made him sit in the sweet spot and hold a tape measure near his head. I measured the distance between his head and each speaker and set the delay to match.

-Robert

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just remember to keep anything away from the meter that you

can. Any nearby object that is not near your head when you

listen and is near the meter when the test is done can throw

off the high frequency notes, this includes having your body

near the meter to read it. You should mount it on a tripod,

right where you head would be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status