AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after many hours of TRYING to set this up, and many more of looking through page after page of posts... I need some help. This was so much easier when state of the art computers were Commodore-64s...

I need some good person out there to give me detailed directions.. step by step.. of exactly what I have to do.

I have a replay 5160, and I want to download video from it into my computer (it's in another room, so I want to do it wirelessly.)

I bought two Buffalo WBR-g54's. One for the computer, and the other for the 5160. I was able to make some progress (connecting to the internet on my DSL) with one of them, but I think it's better if I just start over from the beginning.

Help me. I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
It's not going to get much easier than this:
http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/...t/faq/wds.html

If you have problems following that, call Buffalo tech support as they are reportedly very helpful. Failing that, post the specifics of your problem, and we will try to help.

·
Registered
697 Posts
j.m.

That page is an excellent find. And I have to concur that Buffalo tech support is excellent, though I only needed to call them for presales questions. Thanks again for the page.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... that page is helpful, but I'm still running to a problem-

When I try to change the second unit's IP address, it won't change.

I'm at #14, and entering a new IP that's "one off", like the example.

I think the problem may be this sentence underneath it, which I don't understand:

"After changing LAN side IP address, the current setup process cannot be continued. For the AirStation setup, change the PC's IP address and restart the configuration from the utility software. "

Whaaaa?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrkn4thman
Thanks... that page is helpful, but I'm still running to a problem-

When I try to change the second unit's IP address, it won't change.

I'm at #14, and entering a new IP that's "one off", like the example.

I think the problem may be this sentence underneath it, which I don't understand:

"After changing LAN side IP address, the current setup process cannot be continued. For the AirStation setup, change the PC's IP address and restart the configuration from the utility software. "

Whaaaa?
Ignore that last part.

Are you sure the IP isn't changing? Can you still access the configuration pages using the OLD IP? Once you do get the LAN side IP changed, you will have to browse to the NEW IP to access the configuration pages.

If it isn't changing, what kind of message do you get when you press the "Set" button?

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's where I was having troubles also. I was having the same kind of problems when I tried to change the IP, but that was because I was already using the two in bridging mode. I eventually brought the bridged router down and hooked it up instead of the main router and was then able to get the IP address changed so that I could access both routers' configuration pages from the PC.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just set up 2 of these yesterday.

A couple pointers:

I set my computer static IP within in the same subnet.

Everytime I need to set up router A, I would plug the cable to A. When I need to set up B, I connect the cable to B.

I set A to 192.168.11.1, turn DHCP on

Set B to 192.168.11.2, turn OFF DHCP

the sentence

just means that if you change the LAN IP of the 2nd router to something else, you hvae to relogin to that new IP address (duh)..

so let say originally router B's LAN IP is 192.168.11.1 (you go to http://192.168.11.1 to access the router's config).. after you change the LAN IP to 192.168.11.2, then you have to go to http://192.168.11.2 to access the router's config.

The only problem I encountered is the fact that I put in the wrong MAC address (should've put wireless MAC addr). I didn't see this help page yesterday and it's pointed out with blinkers this common problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.