AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new tv and want to setup HDMI. Where does a receiver fit into all this? Do I go HDMI from PS3 to Receiver, and HDMI out to tv? Or do I setup optical out to receiver also? What's the preferred method?

I'm going to hookup a PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, 5.1 setup, DVD Recorder, and 3 tivos. If any of you have similar hookups, any advice would be appreciated.

Also, If I route the audio from the tv -> receiver instead of PS3 -> receiver -> tv, would I still be able to get surround sound or only stereo?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
when faced with multiple options think of the signal as flowing water. The less the signal travels from the source to the ears, the less is lost

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your receiver has hdmi inputs and outputs, you want to connect everything to that via hdmi, then run one hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. That way you will get the best audio possible from your sources.

If your receiver does not support hdmi, you have two options. One, run digital optical or digital coax from your sources to the receiver, then hdmi from the sources to the tv for video. You will only get DD5.1 and DTS5.1, not dta-ma or dd-plus. Or, you can just run the hdmi from the sources to the tv, then a digital optical or coax from the tv to the receiver. However, when doing this, you will only get stereo sound from all your sources.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I have a question. My present AVR seems unlikely to be able to pass 3D video, I wanted to wire a PS3 ( which I have never used or owned ) to the second HDMI input on a 3D projector ( yes it is really 3D, not 3D ready, no need for a converter box ), so I can use it as a 3B blu-ray player.

I assume that there is a toslink output on the PS3 to pass multichannel audio to the AVR.

My question is, do you think I will be able to split the hdmi signal from the PS3 and pass the audio to the AVR?

·
Registered
802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn /forum/post/20838416

Not to hijack this thread but I have a question. My present AVR seems unlikely to be able to pass 3D video, I wanted to wire a PS3 ( which I have never used or owned ) to the second HDMI input on a 3D projector ( yes it is really 3D, not 3D ready, no need for a converter box ), so I can use it as a 3B blu-ray player.

I assume that there is a toslink output on the PS3 to pass multichannel audio to the AVR.

My question is, do you think I will be able to split the hdmi signal from the PS3 and pass the audio to the AVR?

Yes, you can run optical to your receiver and set the audio output in the PS3 to use optical. Then the HDMI will only carry the video signal. A pre 1.4 receiver won't be able to grab the audio data from HDMI when it is encoded within the 3D datastream from the PS3. So your connections will be PS3>HDMI>Projector, and PS3>Optical>Receiver.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n /forum/post/20838493

Yes, you can run optical to your receiver and set the audio output in the PS3 to use optical. Then the HDMI will only carry the video signal. A pre 1.4 receiver won't be able to grab the audio data from HDMI when it is encoded within the 3D datastream from the PS3. So your connections will be PS3>HDMI>Projector, and PS3>Optical>Receiver.

This. I have done this when hooking up my PS3 to my computer monitor. The HDMI runs to the monitor and optical to my headset. You can adjust the settings in the audio setup.

I bought a Onkyo tx-nr609 since that supposedly has the best upscaling which I want to use for my tv. It has HDMI input and output so I'll hook everything up to that and out to the tv. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.