AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a Vizio 42" Flat Panel Display (VT420M) and while waiting for it to arrive, got a copy of the user manual online to review it. Does anyone here have experience setting one up? The manual recommends having two people do it because of it's size and weight (about 53 lbs gross and 44 lbs net with stand).

I'm just going to be using the included stand and placing the TV on top of a cabinet. Nothing really complicated. Do I really need to have someone else here when I set it up or can most people do it by themselves. I feel I should be able to easily handle 44 lbs but on the other hand, I don't want to damage the unit.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Even though it's not that heavy it's still awkward to handle. I would suggest having someone help you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you are just using the included stand, you can probably do it yourself. The problem is not so much the weight, but the shape. It is awkward to carry and maneuver. With that said, if you plan your lifts carefully it can be done with minimal risk. Your first move will require getting the tv out of the box and facedown on a table (use a blanket over the table) or bed so you can install the stand. Once that is done, you'll need to lift it back vertical (you'll most likely be facing the back of the tv at this point) and gently place it upright on the floor. Go around to the front of the tv and lift again to place on the cabinet. Always use one hand on the top and one on the bottom or both hands on the sides, NEVER both hands on the bottom. Don't ever try to wall mount with only one person.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you mean carrying the box, or getting the TV onto the stand, then onto your cabinet?

Getting it onto the stand is easy, just lay the stand on the floor and set it in, then screw it up. To get it onto the stand I grab it with the screen facing me and my left hand at about 6 inches from that the left side on the bottom, and my right hand at the top right corner.

Should be easy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
42"?? Unless your not very strong or a small person, it should be pretty easy to handle. You want to talk about HARD, try a 50" Panasonic Plasma at about 84 Pounds!!! Not using it's mount, but trying to get it onto my Stand with it's own built in Raised swivel mount. Oh and I not only did it once, but twice by myself as I took it down to adjust, to raise it up a bit higher. Since the Mount is on the back side of the stand, that increased the difficulty even more. I had to lift up high, Tilt the bottom out and the top in to hook it on the mount and then lower the bottom while I have the HDTV stand it front of me in the way sticking out about 2 feet. I don't recommend doing THAT by yourself for most people!!! Almost to much for me. So your little 42" HDTV would have been nothing. Half the weight for one thing, and mount already attached, pick up and sit down. For me, that would be a snap.

Know what's really hard? Try a 42" CRT 1080i Rear Projection HDTV!! Yep, BY MYSELF!!! It was like a foot and a half wide. Try lifting one of them by yourself as I did briefly, but talking about awkward and heavy. I think it was worse then the plasma was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts