AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3400sqft 2 story, + full basement home built in the early 90s. I am getting ready to remodel the basement (putting in a theatre) and wire the first floor family room HT setup, as well as multiple in-ceiling speaker locations (each with volume controls and potentially control over the source). I want to have all my gear located in the basement (except perhaps a blueray player near the first floor TV, although this is not critical). I have access to the second floor ceilings through the attic and can run wires to the first floor from the basement with some help.


Here's my gear (all of which i want in the basement media closet location)


Basement - B&K AVR505 driving polk LsI 5.1 system, need projector and screen

First Floor - Integra dtr 50.5 driving cambridge minx x325 (wife approved), Sharp 60'' LED

B&K Zone 2 - for basement

Integra Zone 2 - second floor hallway l/r, master bedroom l/r and master bath l/r - 3 pairs of polk RC in ceilings

Zone 3 - patio a/b --- hoping to do wireless speakers... any thoughts on which to use?


I have a Aeros MX-850 and buying at MRF-350 for RF control.


Can anyone help me with the below questions?



Here they are...


1. Any recommended projectors for basement HT? I am open to used or new, sub $3k.

2. Any recommended Blue Ray players that can pass hi res audio via HDMI and multi=channel out, that also have optical outs?

3. Recommended affordable 2-channel amp for zone 2 basement and 6-channel for the 2nd floor? Is the powered zone 2 in the Integra 50.5 useful in any way, or should i go to 7.1 HT instead?

4. What is the best value for wire and volume switches for zone 2 on second floor?

5. Are there any affordable switches that also allow for control of streaming services, networked music library or inputs? Or am i best to simply buy another MX-900 for each floor, which would control via RF?

6. Regarding the patio, what are a pair of decent bluetooth speakers (any that are weatherproof?) that will work with the Integra 50.5?

7. In the integra, do the 12V triggers work on amps only or will they also work to power on/off the other components?

8. Anything else i am missing? Please give me any advice that might help.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkallio  /t/1521482/setting-up-whole-home-au...family-room-and-wha-please-help#post_24453368


Can anyone help me with the below questions?

That's a lot of questions spanning many, many areas. You'll be better off reading / posting in the various AVSforums specific to those topics.
Quote:
Here they are...


1. Any recommended projectors for basement HT? I am open to used or new, sub $3k.

See Digital Projection forum... Epson would be my suggestion as a good place to start.
Quote:
2. Any recommended Blue Ray players that can pass hi res audio via HDMI and multi=channel out, that also have optical outs?

Oppo if you're building a theater. Anything that has the output jacks otherwise. But look in the Blu Ray Player forum.
Quote:
3. Recommended affordable 2-channel amp for zone 2 basement and 6-channel for the 2nd floor? Is the powered zone 2 in the Integra 50.5 useful in any way, or should i go to 7.1 HT instead?

HTD.com for the 6-channel, also Monorpice, Dayton (Parts Express) and others. But if you're looking for a WHA system, that's not the best approach.


Nothing wrong with using the powered Zone2 of any AVR for its intended purpose.
Quote:
4. What is the best value for wire and volume switches for zone 2 on second floor?

Monoprice for all wire. HTD for simple volume controls.
Quote:
5. Are there any affordable switches that also allow for control of streaming services, networked music library or inputs? Or am i best to simply buy another MX-900 for each floor, which would control via RF?

Huh?
Quote:
6. Regarding the patio, what are a pair of decent bluetooth speakers (any that are weatherproof?) that will work with the Integra 50.5?

Don't think the AVR's built-in bluetooth is for speaker support, but rather for pairing mobile devices as inputs.
Quote:
7. In the integra, do the 12V triggers work on amps only or will they also work to power on/off the other components?

Trigger is a trigger. Anything expecting a 12V trigger can utilize it - just watch the total milliamp rating (not normally an issue as long as everything is a trigger).
Quote:
8. Anything else i am missing? Please give me any advice that might help.

Read up on Whole House Audio systems before spending money on a multichannel amp and lots of zones... If you're going to run wiring, do it correctly to allow for future growth into such systems (e.g. wire for keypads in addition or in place of volume controls).



Jeff
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top