AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you know how to set-up your LAN: install XP, right click on the folders/drives you wish to share, give the shares a name, done. Probably will need to run network set-up wizard from each client before shared volumes will be accessible there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only reason i ask is because i live in a house with two room mates and i can see their computers just fine on the network, but when they can never acess my computer. Even when i have the folders shared, it asks for a user name and password?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chester51
the only reason i ask is because i live in a house with two room mates and i can see their computers just fine on the network, but when they can never acess my computer. Even when i have the folders shared, it asks for a user name and password?
If you're doing peer-to-peer networking (no domain server), you need to belong to the same workgroup OR...they can create a mapped network drive on their computers to your shared drive, put in the user name and password once for your machine (you have at least an Administrator account on your machine, if you didn't bother setting up your own named account), and they will be able to treat that drive as if it were on their own machine.

Windows Help will walk you through how to set up a network.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.