201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have following equip:

onkyo 906

Klipsch RB81 fronts (freq 46-23000 Hz)

RB10 surrounds (freq 90-20000 Hz)

RC-35 center (freq 56-20000 Hz)

HSU VTF-15H sub (crossover 30-90Hz)

I just got the sub and am pretty clueless about where to set each of the x-over frequencies. Everything I've read for the most part suggests setting all speakers except sub to 80 Hz. Some sites suggest setting center 5dB higher than all other speakers and a variety of other suggestions including use lowest freq and add 10 to that. I know I should set the speakers to "small" in the AVR but the 906 does not have that option. I need to specify a freq.

What would be a good starting point for the x-over freqs and dB settings? I ran Audessey, but it still doesn't sound that good.

Also, the Klipsch speakers are rated at 8ohms yet AVR only has up to 6ohms as an option. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
29,316 Posts
That receiver easily works with 8 ohm speakers. In fact the 906 could probably power 4 ohm speakers with little problem. Plus Klipsch speakers have a very high sensitivity so pretty much any receiver can drive them. That receiver is a beast, over 50lbs.

145W into 8 ohms. Piece of cake for your receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMUFG6/...l_24luu19qwe_e

If it has Audyssey Multi EQ or EQ XT is should automatically calibrate your system. I see Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume but can't tell what version of Audyssey it uses.

I would set the crossover for the fronts and center at 80hz and the surrounds at 100hz.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
That receiver easily works with 8 ohm speakers. In fact the 906 could probably power 4 ohm speakers with little problem. Plus Klipsch speakers have a very high sensitivity so pretty much any receiver can drive them. That receiver is a beast, over 50lbs.

145W into 8 ohms. Piece of cake for your receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMUFG6/...l_24luu19qwe_e

If it has Audyssey Multi EQ or EQ XT is should automatically calibrate your system. I see Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume but can't tell what version of Audyssey it uses.

I would set the crossover for the fronts and center at 80hz and the surrounds at 100hz.
Yes, the 906 is one heavy receiver. So sub should stay at 80?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20830716

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

I've followed the directions above and after running audessey, it is still setting my fronts and main as full band. If I manually drop those to 80Hz is that going to screw up the calibration? The rears were set to 90Hz, LFE at 120. thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
From the Guide:
Quote:
VII. After Calibration

A. Raise the speaker crossover settings, if desired.

1. Raising the crossover frequency from the calibrated setting does not affect the channel correction implemented by Audyssey.

2. Lowering the crossover frequency from the calibrated setting is not recommended.

a. Audyssey will not provide correction to the satellite speakers lower than the frequency it measures as the -3 dB point.

3. Audyssey recommends that all speakers be set to “Small” (i.e. not Full Band) by selecting a crossover frequency. This will re-direct the frequencies below the crossover point to the subwoofer, resulting in improved headroom for the main amplifier and 8x higher MultEQ filter resolution in the subwoofer channel (e.g. flatter bass).

a. Setting the speakers to “Small” with a 60 Hz – 80 Hz crossover is a good starting point, assuming the post-calibration crossover setting is 60 Hz or lower.

4. For additional details about the crossover selection process, see “Note 1” below.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.