AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a full day of trying to lock onto the 119 bird with my oval dish I have come to the conclusion that I must not have a clear line of sight to the 119 Sat. I have done everything to rule out the possibility of defective parts (bypassing the multiswitch, switching LNB's). I am able to pull in a 90 reading for the 101 but just cannot get the 119 to save my life.

I have now decided to keep using the oval for the 101 and use my old round dish for the 119. Does anyone from St. Louis or nearby have the approx. elevation and azimuth settings there to get me started.

Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have spent a few hours trying to get a signal from the 119 Sat with no success using just the round dish. It's driving me nuts! I am a current subscriber to Direct TV but not the HBO HD package. That shouldn't stop me from getting a signal from the 119 should it? Just a thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It shouldn't. If you're using a fifth generation IRD, you should be able to get the NASA channel (376), and transponders from 22-32 from the 119.

You should be aiming about 18 degrees further West of the 101, and about six degrees lower. If you want to try the oval dish again...make sure your tilt is properly set, it's CRITICAL. The mounting pole must be absolutely plumb & level (or the tilt will be off).

If you stay with the dual dish, connect an IRD directly to one of the LNBs, make sure the IRD is set up for multiple satellites, and set the antenna test for the "B" sat signal. If you have a non-plus receiver, set it to transponder 22-32 and start your sweep. If you get a signal, but it's not showing up with a guide or programming, reduce the elevation, you're probably on the wrong satellite.

Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott. Your info on the tilt and azimuth have confirmed what I have been trying. Just another thought, the direction that I am pointing at when trying to pick up the 119 appears to be traveling though many telephone wires. Could that be part of my problem. Will telephone wires block my signal? The 101 line I believe was shooting over the wires. Just another thought.

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a little trouble finding the 119 bird with my 24" dish so I connected a small tv to the receiver(outside near the dish) so I could watch the signal level meter as I moved the dish. I could easily get the 101 signal but no matter how I turned the dish I couldn't even find a signal from the 119 bird. I have two receivers connected to that dish one is a Sony SAT-HD100 the other is a third generation RCA unit. For some reason the SAT-HD100 would not pick up the 119 bird when connected to output 2 on the 4x4 multi-switch. I connected it to output 1 and it works great. I didn't think it mattered which of the four outputs I used, but it sure did make a difference! The RCA unit, which is not a multi-sat tuner works fine on output 2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see how the wires could obscure enough of the signal to matter...that being said, I've read posts on another board where someone suspected power or phone wires to be interfereing, they moved the dish, and everything worked.

If moving the dish is an option, even temporarily, give it a shot. If it's not, then try connecting directly to the "B" sat LNBs, set the IRD for multi-satellite (for Plus) or Xponder 22-32 (for non-plus) and dig for a signal...any signal (from the 119). If you can get signal on both LNB units (A and B), but not at the same time, then the Tilt is off, that's all it can be. Verify that you're using the correct index mark for tilt, and that the dish is tilted such that the Western edge of the dish is lower than the Eastern edge. Look around the neighborhood, get a good sight picture of where & how much.

Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your suggestions Scott. I have simplified the situation by using just a round dish with no success. I will try and relocate the dish and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I might give you guys an update. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Great news. I moved the round dish to the corner of my yard and was finally able to pick up the 119 bird. HAPPY HAPPY !!! JOY JOY!!! I had obstruction from trees where I was trying before. I am now working great with one oval dish for 101 bird with signal strength of 92 and 84 signal on the 119 bird with the round dish. Now I just have to go buy that 22 KHZ thing I have heard about so I can combine the two. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The demo loop on channel 199 is awesome. Just started a subcription to HBO HD also.

You know youre hooked when you can sit through the entire movie Stuart Little and love every minute of it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Mike

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Great news..

I am about to try to find thbis 119 bird in a few days.

Is it preferable to use two round dishes(110 and another for 119), or one oval??? The round dishes are cheaper, and I'm guessing may provide greater flexibility in aiming and placement???

Thoughts ???

- Cain

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The thing to keep in mind with the oval dish is that it is necessarily a compromise to receive all the slots on 1 dish. Theoritically, you can use 3 seperate dishes (one each for 101, 110 and 119), peak each dish individually, and your performance will be better for each over using the oval. Practically, it really doesn't matter unless you have line of sight problems to one or more of the slots from a single dish. Most people's WAF (wife acceptance factor) is better with a single dish over seperates http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cain, I think best case scenario would be to use just the one oval dish. I would suggest trying that first. I had to use two dishes only because of limited line of sight problems. If you are able to pick up both birds with the oval dish stick with that. Good luck! Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Jon. Yes I did get the HBO HD package. Still wish there was more HD. Kind of steep price for only one HBO channel though. At least now I don't need to pay for the local channels. Do you know what channel the discovery channel is that plays High Def?

I am still getting a kick out of watching the demo loop. I show that to friends of mine to really impress them. I showed my dad the demo loop. He is a big football fan. When he saw the football in high def he was ready to buy.

GO BLUES!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately there is not Discovery HD channel yet. It is on the teaser loop but for now that is all. Do a search in the programming sections for lots of rumors....

Nice to see lots of St. Louis people on this board.

------------------
I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incinerate me.

http://home.swbell.net/goodmann/home_theater.htm

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Mike,

The HBO only package for $12/month gets you ALOT more than just 509 (HBO HD). You should be getting ALL of the HBO channels, the demo loop (HD PPV in evenings), Sundance, as well as a few other channels sprinkled in.

Here's a list of all of the channels you should have with HBO ala carte:

100,103,199,350,372,373,374,375,376,377,378,422,438,439,440, 501,502,503,504,505,507,508,509,511,549

Greg - cool setup. As soon as my home theater furniture arrives from North Carolina, I'll take some pics of my setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.