AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I calibrated (using Avia DVD) composite, S-video and component inputs on my 42 ED Panny. Standard definition channels from DirecTV (using Sammy TS-160) look best using composite. My watching distance is about 11-12 feet and most of my watching is at night with only some ambient lighting. Here are my settings for composite:

Picture -23

Brightness -18

Color 0

Tint 6

Sharpness -2

Color temp normal

These settings give me very eye-pleasing smooth picture with 3D depth that R. Harkness has often been talking about (and I am talking SD signal here). My visual impression is that these settings give me the most even distribution of gray scale levels, which in turn provides details in the whole spectrum of colors and intensities. That is, I see details in the blacks and in the whites, and in between. Of course, the picture looks washed out and dark during the day (when I don't watch TV anyway).

I am wondering if other proud owners of ED Panny have similarly low levels of picture and brightness (calibrated with Avia, VE or by eye).

For HD signal I use either VGA or component (hard to tell which one looks better) but I must say that HD signal via composite is not significantly worse from my viewing distance of 11-12 feet.

For those who are still undecided whether SD satellite or cable is watchable on plasma: I am surprised how much better it looks on my ED Panny than on my 27inch Phillips CRT. As other people here already said, it looks like ED Panny is indeed the best plasma to watch SD out of the box (i.e., without using external expensive scalers).

Andrzej

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Andrzej,

My settings for SD are similar:

Mode : Cinema

Picture : -18

Brightness : -20

Color : 2

Tint : 7

Color Temp : Normal

This is a bit dim for daytime viewing, but since our living room windows are shaded all day, it is still very watchable. I also adjusted the "Standard" mode settings with a contrast of 0 for occasional daytime sports viewing.

-Steve

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody know what these color temperature settings actually do? In other words, how "warm" or "cold" settings are achieved? Are they a particular combination of other user adjustable settings (like tint and color) or they change some "internal" parameters.

Andrzej

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.