AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm setting up a new 7701 for a 5.1 setup with 5 genelec 8030b and a genelec 7050 sub.

The 8030s have a few adjustments which can be made on the speaker using DIP switches, specifically a bass roof-of switch which they suggest engaging if you are using it with the sub, however I think that is primarily for when you are using these without a pre-pro and simply daisy chaining the speakers and sub together and the speakers/sub do the crossover management themselves.

There are also DIP switches for attenuating treble and bass.

Should I use any of the DIP switches to attempt to adjust frequency response in the speakers themselves, or should I just let Audyssey do the work?

My room is a 12'x16' with quite a few sound panels (GIK acoustics). both on ceiling and walls.

Advice much appreciated.

best-

-Nat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Another question re the Audyssey setup on the 7701.

After running the auto setup, it seems to have set my Dialog Level to +7.5dB and the Subwoofer Level to -12dB.

It seems like these settings have been written as part of the Audyssey setup, as opposed to being subjective adjustments which are intended to be adjusted to taste…

When I leave dialog at "+7.5db" pink noise measures at the same SPL from all speakers. When I change dialog to 0db the center channel measures lower than the other speakers.

When I switch to DIRECT or PURE DIRECT all speakers measure the same.

I'm using this setup for screening movies and want the setup to come as close to reference as possible, e.g. no "subjective" adjustment.

Similarly what is the difference between the adjustment of the Subwoofer Level, and the LFE level in the "Surround Parameter" servings? Why have this setting in two places?

Thank you!

best-

-Nat

·
Premium Member
90,357 Posts
The -12db setting for the sub means the sub is very efficient and the gain knob on the sub needs to be lowered to roughly 9 o'clock and Audyssey run again. The +7.5db reading for the Dialog Level (or center channel volume) means the center speaker is either very inefficient and needs more power to be calibrated to the same reference level as the other speakers or you don't have it aimed up/down towards your seated head level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The L, C, R, and surrounds are all actually the same speaker (genelec 8030b) and the sub is a genelec 7050, so the center channel is just as efficient.

Also, when I switch to "PURE DIRECT" mode which I believe bypasses audyssey, all channels are exactly equal when measured with pink noise and SPL meter.

Am I correct that "PURE DIRECT" and "DIRECT" mode bypass all audyssey features? It wasn't entirely clear to me from the manual.

Thanks!

-Nat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts