Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Version 2.

The story so far…..

I currently own a Sony 1272Q w/ a burned blue tube. I’m planning on building a system around this pj. (Just for Starters)

However, I’m not sure what would be best in the rest of the system. My thoughts are …

A:

1. Dish 942 HD PVR Reciever.

2. Neu-Neo DVD player.

3. MP5 transcoder.

4. Some type of Switcher?

B:

1. An Htpc w/ an hd card.

Am I missing something? Can this be improved?

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Emdawgz,

On the one hand, some here who have seen / tested the MP-5 have noted it might be overkill for our 1272's. On the other hand, I believe the MP-5 has 2 sets of component inputs and will switch between them, so no need for a separate switcer if you stay with 2 inputs.

Will someone with hands-on MP-5 experience chime in?

For my part, I was able to get an iScan HD from a member here for $500 so that is what I use as my switcher and scaler. The signal goes into a Moome 2005B (component only) card in my 1272.

But, if you plan on upgrading your PJ later, the MP-5 will still be there!!! And a great choice too.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatKing
computer doesn't need a HD card.. you can use the VGA out to a RGBHV cable straight into the projector.

true but if im going to record hd, as an alternative to the dishnet hd box , i need a hd card.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
Emdawgz,

On the one hand, some here who have seen / tested the MP-5 have noted it might be overkill for our 1272's. On the other hand, I believe the MP-5 has 2 sets of component inputs and will switch between them, so no need for a separate switcer if you stay with 2 inputs.

Will someone with hands-on MP-5 experience chime in?

For my part, I was able to get an iScan HD from a member here for $500 so that is what I use as my switcher and scaler. The signal goes into a Moome 2005B (component only) card in my 1272.

But, if you plan on upgrading your PJ later, the MP-5 will still be there!!! And a great choice too.

My 2 cents

How do you like the iscan, Would you recommend it ??? Do you just use the passthru for hdtv?

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you use something like mythTV (linux based) you can record from most cable boxes and stuff via firewire, if it's offered. dunno about windows based PVR boxes.. i'd suggest checking the HTPC forums here. that's the easiest method.. otherwise there's the HD3000 card and the Air2PC card that i know of that do HD.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This question has been posed quite a few times in one form or another, but the HTPC vs. set-top debate seems to come down to what level of complexity you're willing to tolerate versus what features you'd like to have, and how technically inclined you are (and how much you like to apply that inclination to watch movies).

Obviously, an HD DVR and a DVD player is a simple setup anybody can figure out. Simple and elegant is good. Of course, the devices' capabilities are mostly limited to what they can do right now. It's a known quantity. Set and forget.

HTPC can do most of the stuff the other two will do (although no satellite HD), but is much more flexible. Along with that flexibility comes complexity, and a computer will usually require some occasional dinking.

I'm stuck between the two. I'm a techno-head - I love computers and playing with new software and trying things and the flexibility. I love the idea of being able to play some new format on my projector - that's appealing. But, the allure of a simple "push-button" setup that my wife can be happy using is very appealing, too...

Which is why I'm planning both. STB DVD and HD receiver for clean, clean operation, and an HTPC with HD card and FireWire for flexibility, so I can play with computer toys, slideshow software, WMHD, QuickTime HD, etc. I'm going to set up the HT with the HTPC first, and then add the "wife/simple" functionality later with STB's and an AMX automation setup. At least, that's the plan.

SC

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdawgz1
How do you like the iscan, Would you recommend it ??? Do you just use the passthru for hdtv?
I have to admit, I REALLY like the iScan HD. I feed it 480p on component and then upscale to 660p out on component to my PJ. (The iScan has line incremental custom output resolution)

I must also admit that I have tried it with an IFB-11 and and IFB-12a, (with transcoder) but feeding it into Moome's IFB-2005b is the best. I wasn't so sure about Moome's card at first, but this combination is SWEET!!!

So of course, now I'm tempted to try the DVI side of things, but I don't have any way to switch DVI inputs (the iScan has only 1) AND I'd have to spend MORE money on a DVI card for my 1272. Moome will upgrade my current card for the difference in cost plus shipping, but the cost of a DVI switcher is still pretty steep.

Oh also, (continued rave) my current combination rates quite well on the HQV test DVD that I got - THANKS to AVSForums. At least it does to my eyes.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.