AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I got a good deal on a little used Sony STR-DE935 from my office. I was going to hook it up to my existing speakers, 4 PSB Alpha LR1, 1 Alpha CLR1, and a PSB subwoofer.

My question is this: the Sony can be set to 4 or 8 ohms, but the PSBs state "minimum 4 ohm, nominal 6 ohm". What should I set the receiver to? Am I risking damage to any of the components with this configuration?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieso
maybe if you do like this there must be some damages to the components so you'd better ask someone who konws to do it better
Hi, thanks for the reply. That's actually why I posted here - to ask someone who knows.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
"nominal 6 ohms" is the key, the receiver should handle them fine at normal modest volume levels. If you try to drive them to ear bleed levels the receiver may go into protection mode and shut down. Absolutely nothing to lose by trying - they should work fine.

PS: you will start a budget to buy a new full featured a/v receiver, won't you ????

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
FWIW, I am using a Sony receiver to power my Dyanduio X16s until I can get a new receiver and it is handling it just fine. I still need a center channel, but I will be getting an Integra before the center channel, I like that the integra has a 6 ohm continuous rating, and it sounds very nice also. I do play movies and music at my usual listening levels that were the same with my Energy speakers. But I find the Dyns would love for me to get them more power.

I think you will be fine, but I do think the next upgrade would be a receiver for you.

I think there is also another difference, the impedance graphs of the Dyns show that they don't dip below 5.77 ohms and hover around 7 ohm most of the time, even tho they are 4 ohm rated. If the PSBs do actually dip into the 4 ohm range, they may be a little harder to handle for your receiver, I think it really depends on how much they dip below that 6 and into that 4 ohm range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19607750

"nominal 6 ohms" is the key, the receiver should handle them fine at normal modest volume levels. If you try to drive them to ear bleed levels the receiver may go into protection mode and shut down. Absolutely nothing to lose by trying - they should work fine.

PS: you will start a budget to buy a new full featured a/v receiver, won't you ????

Thanks for the response!

The receiver does have a switch to select either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Any recommendations as to what I should set that to, based on my speakers? Right now it's at 4.

As far as getting a full-featured receiver, heck, I'm now light years ahead of where I was just by buying this used Sony. My previous one was part of one of those theatre-in-a-box deals!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I would actually set it to 8 ohms. Ohm fluctuations are to be expected, and most receiver's can handle them without issue, so I doubt it will ever go into protect mode. If it ever does, then set it back to 4, but realize that then you'll be losing power output to each speaker...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts