AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make sense to have only a center speaker (the long flat kind) to replace the TV speakers?

The problem with a 2 speaker setup is that I watch TV from both my computer desk (which is right next to the left speaker) and my bed (which is closer to the right speaker). So when I'm at my desk I only really hear the left, and vice versa on the bed. So I was thinking if I just got a center source, it wouldn't be as big of a problem, and it would also be a step up from the TV speakers.

Is that dumb or even possible? Any better recommendations?

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic /forum/post/17039737

Does it make sense to have only a center speaker (the long flat kind) to replace the TV speakers?

The problem with a 2 speaker setup is that I watch TV from both my computer desk (which is right next to the left speaker) and my bed (which is closer to the right speaker). So when I'm at my desk I only really hear the left, and vice versa on the bed. So I was thinking if I just got a center source, it wouldn't be as big of a problem, and it would also be a step up from the TV speakers.

Is that dumb or even possible? Any better recommendations?

You wouldn't want to use just a center channel. If you only want a single speaker, get a sound bar. Just a center channel will leave you without quite a lot of important sounds, sounds that are supposed to go to the left and right front speakers. A sound bar, while not sounding all that great, will give you much better results than just a center channel.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/17039914

You wouldn't want to use just a center channel. If you only want a single speaker, get a sound bar. Just a center channel will leave you without quite a lot of important sounds, sounds that are supposed to go to the left and right front speakers. A sound bar, while not sounding all that great, will give you much better results than just a center channel.

That's the best answer. And if you are willing to invest in a good soundbar or three-in-one onwall front speaker, there are some really good ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17040085

That's the best answer. And if you are willing to invest in a good soundbar or three-in-one onwall front speaker, there are some really good ones.

could you recommend some? ...especially ones that are under $500?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzenthlay /forum/post/17079620

could you recommend some? ...especially ones that are under $500?

Bump. ^

Others can give you better advice in that range. Triad's least expensive speaker of this type is the OnWall Mini LCR 2.0, which is two of our Mini LCRs in one customizable enclosure, and it's $1,100 in any color. (For a tight grouping, you may want a two-in-one speaker, and just use phantom center.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts