AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some renovations and have some walls open - an opportune time to hide audio cable. The layout is somewhat open, but for the purposes of this, the "room" is about 30' x 15'. The walls of the room are defined kinda by a C shape with the TV on one the top end of the C, the seating somewhere near the middle, and a bay of windows at the bottom end. The right side is partially closed off at the top by a fireplace, but the bottom end opens up to the foyer.

I currently have a really cheap Sony 5.1 surround system but plan to upgrade. I already bought a pair of floor-standing Infinity Primus P363 speakers for the front L & R. I plan on getting a Yamaha NS-C310BL for the center channel and Fluance AVBP2 for surrounds. I also want to upgrade my receiver and am leaning towards something semi-future-friendly like the Yamaha rx-v677, but I can worry about that a little later. I'm totally open on all of these things, and, fyi, I have based my choices on reviews and price point, so any input is greatly appreciated.

I know that 7.1 isn't really necessary especially with so few movies in that format, but I feel like with a slightly larger, relatively open space, a 7.1 setup might be better than 5.1 setup even if it is upscaled sound. I'm not sure what I'd use for the rear speakers, but I'm more concerned about placement since I want to run wire for them now. I'm wondering if it would be better to mount them on the far wall near the window (the bottom of the C, which would be approx 15 feet from the seating), or on (or in) the ceiling near the middle of the room, closer to the seating area... but 9ft in the air. I'm leaning towards placing them on/in the ceiling.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You want your center channel to match the front speakers, it's called timbre matching. As a sound pans across the front soundstage you want it to sound consistent across all 3 speakers. Get the matching Infinity center speaker. Surrounds aren't quite as picky as far as having to match, but since they're so good, you might as will go with the p163's for your surrounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I hear you guys on getting the matching center channel, but what about placement for the rear surrounds if I go with a 7.1 setup based on my layout? Hang them from the ceiling closer to seating or mount them on the far wall much further away?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts