AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in the process of ordering a new triple wide manufactured home and I need some advice setting up my entertainment stack in the living room. I currently have a Samsung UN65MU9000FXZA 65 inch lcd monitor, a Denon AVRS930H A/V amp, and a Sony UBP-X800 HD BluRay player. The Denon is capable of supporting simple dolby all the way up to Atmos and DTS:X. I am just starting to collect 4K HD BluRays. I believe I will be buying all new speakers for this installation.

This new home is an open concept layout with the living room about 16 feet front to back and 14 feet side to side. I have a solid wall to the front where the monitor will be mounted, no real back (that's where the kitchen starts), solid wall of windows on the right, and no left wall (that's where the hallway, etc. are). The ceiling is 7 feet high on the right wall sloping to about 8 feet on the left edge of the room. I can easily place my front speakers wherever I want but I don't see any way for surround speakers unless they are installed in the ceiling. Even that may present some difficulty because there is no attic above the ceiling so running speaker wires will be a challenge. I am planning for the viewing position to be about 8-9 feet from the front wall.

My hearing really isn't good enough to justify an audiophile class speaker system. If I can get sounds coming from about where the director intended them to be then I'm pretty happy.

My primary media source is a library of around 500 DVDs and over 1000 BluRay movies and TV shows. My A/V amp is capable of 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X or 7.1 TrueHD/DTS-HD. I believe the vast majority of my media is just 5.1. A 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X setup would probably be easier to do since I would only have two ceiling speakers to install. My question is what kind of surround system I should set up? Would I gain more by going 7.1 or 5.1.2? If I go 5.1.2 I figure to purchase two tower front speakers with integrated up-pointing speakers to simplify the setup (maybe Klipsch R-26FA?).

Thanks in advance for any help pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hi. I'm in the process of ordering a new triple wide manufactured home and I need some advice setting up my entertainment stack in the living room. I currently have a Samsung UN65MU9000FXZA 65 inch lcd monitor, a Denon AVRS930H A/V amp, and a Sony UBP-X800 HD BluRay player. The Denon is capable of supporting simple dolby all the way up to Atmos and DTS:X. I am just starting to collect 4K HD BluRays. I believe I will be buying all new speakers for this installation.

This new home is an open concept layout with the living room about 16 feet front to back and 14 feet side to side. I have a solid wall to the front where the monitor will be mounted, no real back (that's where the kitchen starts), solid wall of windows on the right, and no left wall (that's where the hallway, etc. are). The ceiling is 7 feet high on the right wall sloping to about 8 feet on the left edge of the room. I can easily place my front speakers wherever I want but I don't see any way for surround speakers unless they are installed in the ceiling. Even that may present some difficulty because there is no attic above the ceiling so running speaker wires will be a challenge. I am planning for the viewing position to be about 8-9 feet from the front wall.

My hearing really isn't good enough to justify an audiophile class speaker system. If I can get sounds coming from about where the director intended them to be then I'm pretty happy.

My primary media source is a library of around 500 DVDs and over 1000 BluRay movies and TV shows. My A/V amp is capable of 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X or 7.1 TrueHD/DTS-HD. I believe the vast majority of my media is just 5.1. A 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X setup would probably be easier to do since I would only have two ceiling speakers to install. My question is what kind of surround system I should set up? Would I gain more by going 7.1 or 5.1.2? If I go 5.1.2 I figure to purchase two tower front speakers with integrated up-pointing speakers to simplify the setup (maybe Klipsch R-26FA?).

Thanks in advance for any help pointing me in the right direction.
Budget will dictate recommendations and your space will present some limitations. As you say, your AVR will enable either 5.1.2 (Atmos) or 7.1 surround sound. I've had both setups (except I have 4 overhead speakers for Atmos with a 9 channel Denon) and to me, 5.1.2 would be superior audio experience for all of your movie watching. As you know, even your non-Atmos dvds and blu-rays will be upmixed to use all of your speakers with DSU or Neural:X. 7.1 was about a 3/10 upgrade from 5.1 and going Dolby Atmos was a 9/10 upgrade in my home theater. If your home is being manufactured, perhaps some wires can be placed above the ceiling drywall for both placement of your ceiling speakers and for connection to your AVR?

Other considerations: Seems like you'll need to place your side surround speakers on either furniture or speaker stands at close to ear level ideally. Will be 2 fewer speaker stands if you go 5.1.2 over 7.1 if space, children, pets, etc is a concern. Also if you go Atmos, do your ceiling heights permit near recommended placement in relation to your seating position? https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-2-setups.html
Choose option 2 for the ceiling placement recommendation when viewing this link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts