AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but have been browsing the posts for some time - GREAT info available here !!!

A little background - I have a Panasonic TV (TC-P42ST30), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (BMP-BDT110) and from Verizon Fios a Motorola STB (QIP7100-P2, not a DVR) - I have had everything here about 4 months - NO problems - TV and Blu Ray are hard wired to the Internet through a D-Link Network Switch -

Just purchased the Onkyo HTX-22HDX to improve the audio quality of the TV, I was not looking for a large system and think this setup will do just fine, I do have some questions on how to hook things up - I did read the manual, still not clear -

1- I would like to utilize the ARC connection on the TV for the Blu-Ray and would like to run the STB HDMI also through the Onkyo, I believe the Onkyo would act as a "pass through" device for the STB ??

2- I would then run the HDMI "out" from the Onkyo to the TV's ARC connection ??

3- If I can connect as above will there be any degrading of signals through the Onkyo ??

I'll probably have some more questions, these will help me to get setup -

THANKS

·
Registered
9,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN267 /forum/post/20969538

Just purchased the Onkyo HTX-22HDX to improve the audio quality of the TV, I was not looking for a large system and think this setup will do just fine, I do have some questions on how to hook things up - I did read the manual, still not clear -

Hi JoeN267, congrats on your new sound system.

1- connect Blu-Ray and STB through the Onkyo and enable HDMI Control, Audio Tv Out and ARC in the receiver (which enables Standby Pass Through and ARC).

2- correct, on the Panasonic Tv enable Viera Link and set Tv Speaker to Theater

3- don't believe so but set Blu-Ray Player audio output to Bitstream with Secondary Audio to Off. And set STB audio output to Dolby Digital surround sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, while I am waiting for a couple of cables I have another question - with the setup above, that is, everything going through the Onkyo Sub, I will only have to have 1 HDMI input showing on the TV screen, if I have the TV on and want to play the Blu ray, all I will have to do is turn on the Blu Ray, will not have to go to another HDMI input (because there will be only 1 HDMI input to the TV now) -

Is my logic correct here ????

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an order into MonoPrice for the "speaker wire" -

Just realized that the HDMI cable I have to go back to TV from the Onkyo is too short, I have read some of the posts on HDMI cables on this forum, lots of info, some confusing -

So now I am considering replacing the other two HDMI cables I have and get 3 HDMI cables labeled "high speed", I will need 2 10' cables and 1 6' cable -

I found HDMI High Speed cables that fit all requirements eg. ARC, 3D etc. available at "MyCableMart.com", they are the regular "high speed" NOT the "extreme" cables -

I didn't care for the "Ferrite Cores" on the HDMI cable at MonoPrice - too bulky looking and may present a problem fitting the cables into the Onkyo sub close to the wall -

Has anybody here used HDMI cables from "MyCableMart.com" and if so how do you like them ????

Thanks again in advance for your advice -

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Id say just buy the HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. Alot of users on avs shop there and have nothing but good things to say about them.

EDIT: Monoprice has HDMI cables w/o the ferrite cores

·
Registered
16,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN267 /forum/post/21007582

I have an order into MonoPrice for the "speaker wire" -

Just realized that the HDMI cable I have to go back to TV from the Onkyo is too short, I have read some of the posts on HDMI cables on this forum, lots of info, some confusing -

So now I am considering replacing the other two HDMI cables I have and get 3 HDMI cables labeled "high speed", I will need 2 10' cables and 1 6' cable -

I found HDMI High Speed cables that fit all requirements eg. ARC, 3D etc. available at "MyCableMart.com", they are the regular "high speed" NOT the "extreme" cables -

I didn't care for the "Ferrite Cores" on the HDMI cable at MonoPrice - too bulky looking and may present a problem fitting the cables into the Onkyo sub close to the wall -

Has anybody here used HDMI cables from "MyCableMart.com" and if so how do you like them ????

Thanks again in advance for your advice -

If your speaker wire run is under 48' all you need is 16AWG, 2-wire. One side of which is ribbed for correct polarity. I bought my wire at Home Depot for next to nothing because it was "heater wire", unless your speaker connections are proprietary (banana plug) then you'll have to adapt the ends.

High Speed Certified HDMI cables without the ferrite cores are all you need. The extreme etc cables at MCM are b.s. Monoprice or MediaBridge offer good cables. MediaBridge has the certificate available for your cable to view.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did order the 16awg 2 wire (speaker wire) from MonoPrice -

I will be ordering the HDMI cables from Mediabridge tonight - they are exactly what I am looking for -

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about some opinions on whether I should place the Onkyo Sub on the carpeted floor OR place a board on the carpet then the Sub on it -

I am all new to HD TV and HTIB, so far so good though with the help I have gotten from this forum -

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about my last post, I think it should have been in the "speaker" section - I'll be more careful from now on -

FYI - I did call Onkyo about the "Sub Woofer" placement on a carpet and they said definitely NO - place a board under it -

·
Registered
16,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN267 /forum/post/21019203

FYI - I did call Onkyo about the "Sub Woofer" placement on a carpet and they said definitely NO - place a board under it -

I don't buy that. My sub-woofie is on carpet in our family room and sounds just awesome. Sure, some sound is going to be absorbed by the carpet but unless your room is un-carpeted, I doubt if you'll hear the difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just stating what the Onkyo Tech said, I personally have nothing to go buy and was looking for some input from members here who may have experimented with this issue.

The point may be mute for me however, I returned the Onkyo system to Tiger Direct and the HDMI cables to Mediabridge, (Mediabridge does not charge any S&H if your order is over $10.00), the speaker wire will cost too much to return so I may post it on Craigs List.

The other night I found a item I did not know existed, a "IR Blaster", this will allow me to setup a Sound Bar and Sub Woofer (this was my original idea). The Sound Bar was tall enough to block the IR sensor for the remote, I have the TV set up on a stand, not on the wall, there will be less cables to deal with and look neater (wireless woofer). The unit I ordered was from Panasonic, SC-HTB520 and the Blaster was from Amazon (Infrared Resources) 7' cable, Panasonic dose not have available the Blaster they show on their web site.

The Sub looks like it may have a board below the speaker, I couldn't tell from the pics and I will reorder the correct length HDMI cables from Mediabridge when I get the new unit here.

Any new questions I may have I will post in the "sound bar" section.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts