AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the FAQs and these forums, but have not been able to find a definitive way to hook up all the A/V gear in the "optimal" way.

I have a ReplayTV 5060, Yamaha A/V receiver with lots of S-video inputs (model RX620), Satellite receiver Hughes HBH-SA. Is there any documentation on how to best connect this all up? I have the setup working now with IR blaster, but nothing is going through the AV receiver. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

:confused:

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
There is no "optimal" setup every setup is different. The quick connect guide in the box should have given you some helpful hints.

Not sure if you want or don't want anything going through the receiver.

You could run outputs from the replay to the reciever (I do) and let the receiver take care of the switching inputs for different devices.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I run the RTV thru the VCR/DVR ports on the back of the A/V Receiver 'cuz I don't use the VCR any more. Not knowing what inputs you have on your Yamaha receiver, you may be able to just replace the SAT inputs, if you have them, with the RTV.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
You gotta love the web, all documentation that's available online.

I suspect the receiver is the RX-v620.

Looking at the receiver I'd wire it up like this...

Hughes box via s-video to the d-tv/cbl signal line in audio to match. This is just my preference, you could use composite, but I figure the direct to the TV should be the cleanest signal.

Hughes box using the composite line and audio to the replayTV input 1. My thinking on the s-video vs composite to the replay... the replay should have the cleanest source, but it's going to mpeg encode the source, so image quality will suffer.

Try both and decide which you like best.

Wire the replay out using s-video to the vcr 1. If you can assign the digital inputs to VCR 1's audio do that otherwise, just use the RCA audio.

Does that help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:confused:

OK...I think I am setting everything up correctly, but am still having trouble. Here's how I have it setup, and I can't figure out why this won't work. I've tried both S-video and the RCA jacks, but I'll describe the current setup with the RCA jacks:

Satellite signal into Hughes HBH-SA

RCA (R,L,V) output from Hughes HBH-SA into Yamaha RX-V620 DTV in (R,L,V)

Yamaha RX-VX-620 Monitor Out (RCA Video) to TV Video1 in.

The above part works great!

-------------------------------------------------------

Now the trouble:

Yamaha RX-V620 VCR1 RCA output (R,L,V) into ReplayTV Video1 input (R,L,V)

ReplayTV Video2 output (R,L,V) into Yamaha RX-V620 VCR1 input (R,L,V)

ReplayTV is set to have its only input as Video1 composite.

I can see the ReplayTV screens, can play shows I've already recorded, etc, but when I try to tune to a channel, I get "No video signal detected"

One other strange thing, when I switch the Yamaha receiver from DTV to VCR1, I will get a picture for a second once I switch over (it appears to be the amount of time that the ReplayTV buffers the picture), then it says no video signal detected.

Can anyone help me! This is extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I suspect that you have the receiver set to VCR when you want to watch the replay, right? If that's true this kinda makes sense, the replay is looking for input from the receiver but the reciever doesn't have anything to give the replay because the reciever is set for VCR. Try changing the receiver to you Sat and that should work, but you can't watch the replay to see that.... You are stuck.

The way around this and how I've got all my systems setup.

Sat Reciever goes directly to the replayTV input. The replay output runs to the recivers Video (vcr) 1.

You can also run the second set of jacks off the sat reciever to the av receiver. But you run a chance of running into problems when you are watching something on sat and your replay thinks it's in control of the box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.