AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating putting large speakers at surround back left and right. My question is if I set set the surround back left and right to Large on my preamp/processor, the information below 80hz for SB speakers will go to these speakers but not to the SUB? In other words when you set any speaker to Large that base information for that particular speaker is diverted from the SUB to that speaker. So if one sets up all large speakers in a 7.1 setup, the .1 (SUB) would get no base info? Or does the base info get duplicated in both the SUB and speakers set to Large?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
my avr (marantz sr9600) allows for large setting on any channel without impacting LFE. You should be able find out via your op manual

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,215 Posts
The sub is still likely is able to play lower frequencies than the large speakers so maybe just set your crossover at a lower frequency and set all your other speakers to small. Thats what I do. If your speakers can play lower frequencies than your sub or contain higher quality woofers, maybe just unplug the sub.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. Those speakers set to LARGE will not pass any info to the sub; however, as the LFE (ie. 0.1) only passes to the sub, it would still pass to the sub.
Sounds like if ALL the speakers are set to large, the SUB will still get LFE info specifically for the SUB and not any other speaker.

·
Premium Member
88,980 Posts
Sounds like if ALL the speakers are set to large, the SUB will still get LFE info specifically for the SUB and not any other speaker.
Correct, although you're likely confusing LFE (0.1 in DD/DTS 5.1/7.1) with the lower frequency audio sent to the speakers, which is different. The LFE only goes to the sub regardless of the speaker LARGE/SMALL setting, while the lower frequency audio sent to the speakers only goes to the sub when set to SMALL, although with some brands, the FL/FR lower frequencies can be sent to the sub even when set to LARGE (ie. using LFE+MAIN on Denon/Marantz models).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Correct, although you're likely confusing LFE (0.1 in DD/DTS 5.1/7.1) with the lower frequency audio sent to the speakers, which is different. The LFE only goes to the sub regardless of the speaker LARGE/SMALL setting, while the lower frequency audio sent to the speakers only goes to the sub when set to SMALL, although with some brands, the FL/FR lower frequencies can be sent to the sub even when set to LARGE (ie. using LFE+MAIN on Denon/Marantz models).
I was wondering do you know if. the signal going to the surrounds and the surround back speakers ever goes below 50hz. The reason I'm asking is that I have two large speakers (Infinity RS III) with two 10'' woofers each that I'm not using and thinking about using them as surround back speakers. But if the signal never goes below 50hz then there's really no point.
My other speakers are:paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.3 , CC-570 v.3 , ADP-470 v.3 , Servo-15 and Monitor Audio ASW 210 Subwoofer.

·
Premium Member
88,980 Posts
I was wondering do you know if. the signal going to the surrounds and the surround back speakers ever goes below 50hz. The reason I'm asking is that I have two large speakers (Infinity RS III) with two 10'' woofers each that I'm not using and thinking about using them as surround back speakers. But if the signal never goes below 50hz then there's really no point.
My other speakers are:paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.3 , CC-570 v.3 , ADP-470 v.3 , Servo-15 and Monitor Audio ASW 210 Subwoofer.
That will depend on the mixer of that particular audio you're passing to the AVR as it can be 20Hz - 20kHz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts