AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, was trying to decide wether to go with a HTIB or not, decided to go the seperate component route and wanted others opinions before i purchase.

Onkyo SR504 Receiver

Polk R15 - Front and Rear

Polk CSi25 - Center

Velodyne VX-10C - Sub

OR

Onkyo SR504 Receiver

Athena Micra 6 System

Was either that or the Onkyo S790 HTIB

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You are usually better off with separates.

1. If you buy separate amplifiers....they can last you a lifetime if of quality build design.

2. The pre-pro section with audio/video decoding is usually the first to become obsolete...it is nice to be able to change this when needed-without changing the whole system.

3. Speakers can last you a lifetime- again buy a set of high quality units. I have a set of Polk monitors from 1984 (RT12) which still produce a very audio to this day. You may want to upgrade these someday, but at least they can be used elsewhere.

4. Source components die or become obsolete as soon as the next years models are available- and they tend to become cheaper and better as time goes on. Nice to be able to change these out too if needed. You can then move the older (obsolete) unit to another television for use by the Kids, etc.

Just my opinion on these matters.

BTW: I have only heard the Polk units, they generally have a nice tonal balance to them...look for multiple reviews of the equipment. I would not rely upon only one reviewers input.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.