Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVS folks,

been a lurker for about a month, this is my first post. Best Buy delivered my 47" Panasonic today and Im having problems getting the Hughes E86 box set up. My dvd player is working fine setup thru Component 1. Im using regual cable as the tvs main source right now.

I have the E86 connected thru the Red, Green, Blue and plugged into the tv's Component 2. Zenith Silver Sensor ota antena is connected to the E86's Antena In. The Directv dish will get installed this Friday.

Im trying to just get OTA signal right now. I put tv on component 2. The E86 is on. But I cant even get anything but a black screen. Ive read the tv's and the hughes manual and still am just clueless. I just wanna see Leno in HD :confused:

Can anyone help? thanks.

Ken M.

Tulsa, OK

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Is the Hughes in HD output mode?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure. Im getting a staticy audio feed but still no picture, or even the hughes software on screen. still reading and trying though.

ken

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ken's on the right track here - the E86 only outputs 1080i on the component cables (R/G/B) to the TV, so you'll get audio and no video. Try changing the output (the Action button, then the HD/SD button on the remote) of the STB to SD.

You need two outputs from the E86 to the TV (assuming you want to watch programs in 'native' mode) - so, you'll need to hook up the S-Video cable as a separate input to the TV for the SD output of the E86, and use the component output of the E86 for HD.

Read the manual on the HD/SD button and how it works and the different outputs required. Don't feel bad, I had the same problem (sheer panic) when I hooked up my Mitsu STB (same guts as the E86).

Hope that helps.

Kendal

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Also make sure you're audio cables are connected. I you hook up both the s-video and component connections, you'll need audio ables for both sets of inputs.

If the tv is set on component 2 connection and the E86 is in HD mode, you may still need to complete the set up process. The lack of the satellite dish may or may not be causing the problem. Go into the local menu and input your zip code. This should bring up your available local channels. You'll also have to make sure that your antennae is adjusted to point in the direction of the transmission towers. You can then use the signal strength meter for local channels to fine tune reception of your available local channels.

I got the satellite service working before I set up my UHF antenna. Hopefully, I'm not missing any steps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input.

I have now hooked up the S-video cable and audio, plus the Components and its audio.

So I turn the tv onto Component 2. Turn on the Hughes box. Screen stays black. Im getting ABC's audio perfectly. I can switch the channels on the Hughes box and hear NBC's audio. I push Action, Input and nothing happens. Push it again. Still nothing.

Im pretty sure Im hooked up correctly now. The direct tv guy will be here Friday to install the dish. I thought I might be able to get the ota before he gets here. But I can wait.

thanks. ken

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I don't know anything about your Panasonic TV, but some HDTVs are particular about which component input supports 1080i from a set top box. Many older generation HD-ready sets required the 1080i HD signal to be on input #1. The second component input only supported 480p, or in some cases, only 480i, and was expected to be used with a DVD player.

Check your TV manual again and move the STB component cables to input #1 if your manual says that is where your HD signal must be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.