AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to preface that yes, I made this same post over at the Epson 1080 thread, but after several days of no response, I fear that it might have gotten buried in such a large thread. So, I am posting it as a separate thread in hopes of getting more response. The following was taken from that said post:

Hi all new poster here and new to the world of projectors as well. I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with the Home Cinema, and quite honestly, my head is still spinning from all the details/review/spec sheets I read to make sure that this is exactly what I'm looking for. For the most part, I believe it is, but a little confirmation from you guys wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

I'm looking to set this up in my living room, so I'll have very little to no light control (other than blinds, curtains, lights off). The room also has a beige paint, so I understand I won't get a "total darkness" theatre environment. I'll be watching anything from high-def movies, sports HD broadcasts, and PC output (most likely through VGA, since people seem to be having some issues with DVI-HDMI) during daytime with lots of light and at night with little lighting in the room.

Another thing that I'm going to be doing and I'd like you guys opinion on this is I am NOT doing ceiling mounting. From what I read about the 1080, positioning doesn't seem to be an issue with it, so I am most likely going to opt to place it on the top of a shelf (shelf will also house my other devices, i.e. cable box, PS3, Wii, PC). My concern is that from end-to-end, I'm probably looking at about 19 feet. Even if I account for the size of the shelf (and the positioning of the tip of the projector lens), it's still going to be roughly 18 feet from the screen. Would this be a problem if I project it on a 100" screen?

My second concern is the screen. If I understood all the things that I've read, a grey screen would be the ideal for the kind of setup I'm looking for. While I'm tempted to go with the more expensive Da-lite HC grey screens, I found a place that would sell the Elite EZFrame at roughly 1/3 the price of Da-lite. Is the difference in quality between the two brands really worth nearly $800? My wallet says no =P But I'd like to hear what your thoughts are regarding those two screens. Will the Elite be able to handle the versatility I look for on my setup? I've heard that the 1080 is pretty bright (if not the brightest 1080p projector out right now), but will the throw distance (18 ft), along with the light conditions, be enough that it will degrade the brightness of the picture?

EDIT: Also, the screen would most likely be about 10-12 ft away from the viewing area. 100" or 106" screen should be fine for that distance, am I correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did find that calculator over at projectorcentral. I'm assuming the "completed" frame they have are exactly that...completed and I don't have to apply the paint, etc..?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using that calculator, the resulting image brightness for a 120" screen projected from 18 ft is 10fl. For a 106" or 100" screen projected from the same distance, it gave me a brightness of 13 fl and 14fl.

Does anyone know if these are still decent brightness quality? Or is the 120" pretty much out of the question given the throw distance?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodecKing /forum/post/0

Using that calculator, the resulting image brightness for a 120" screen projected from 18 ft is 10fl. For a 106" or 100" screen projected from the same distance, it gave me a brightness of 13 fl and 14fl.

Does anyone know if these are still decent brightness quality? Or is the 120" pretty much out of the question given the throw distance?

Those numbers should be with a screen gain of 1.0 - if you buy or make a higher gain screen, you can push those fL values up and still get your 120" screen. Try 1.8 and 2.2 to see what fL values you get. The screen gain setting is on the right side of the calculator.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like you am new to the world of PJs (got the Sanyo Z5) I would get the PJ first

Display it on a sheet or wall so you can see if the size that you want works for you

or weather you need a high gain screen. I got my PJ about 4 months ago and

I'm still usin white photographers paper some times called "No Seam" it comes in

8 or 9' x 36' rolls -its about $40-50 bucks - you can get it in a art supply store or

photograph store. Someone on these forums gave me that advice and its the best advice that I've gotten

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Home Cinema 1080. Should get it this week and I'll test it out on the wall first to see if I can get a better idea on what exactly I need as far as screen goes.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help Please. I am building my first Home Theater. I own the AE 900U, and am just finishing my theater. I have just barely purchased the seating that I will need, but it takes up more room that I was expecting. According to projector central projection calculator with my 120 inch Elite 1.0 gain screen, and a throw distance of 14 feet. My best viewing is from 12 to 19 feet. I am going to have two rows of theater seeting, and the larger than planned seating is going to put the back row right at 19 feet, but the center of the front row seats will be right at about 11 feet. Should I be looking to trade the screen down to a 106? Or will being a foot too close not be a big deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.