AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if this will work:

My powered 8in Sony sub has speaker line inputs on the back of it, but the sub itself is connected to my reciever by a rca subcable. Could I buy another powered sub and run speaker wire from it to the orignal sub, and then im basically running 2 subs. I would place them at either end of my couch, to get that surround sound boomy feel. Is that running it in parallel? Or is this idea way off and I might as well just buy a new sub and run it by itself?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Buy an RCA Y splitter (1 male/2 female). Plug the male into the sub out on the receiver (where your sub cable is connected now), then plug two RCA cables into the female sockets and run one cable to the first sub and the other cable to the second sub. Simple as that.

As an alternative, put a Y splitter (1 male/2 female) on the sub end of the existing cable, plug the male end of the Y into the first sub, then run a second RCA cable from the second female socket to the second sub. Again, simple as that.

The consensus on this forum would be to get rid of the Sony and buy one or two good subs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it would be cool to run 2. Iv been looking around for 1 decent one but selection in my town kinda of sucks. I did check out a Yamaha YST-SW216 10in for $125 looked cool, they also had a lower end flat yamaha sub i think it was 6.5 or 8in for $100. I also went to a studio store and saw a KRK RP10s "rokit" looked pretty cool but it was $300, and I cant find much info on that brand.

This sony(SAW-M250) sub only has 1 rca input on the back but but 2 sets of speaker inputs on the back, doesnt seem very versitile. Does this forum support subcables like the Monster THX type stuff? I got one now running my sub.

Hey Ransac I live up in Chico, but Im orginally from the Sac area. Know any good places to buy stuff up here?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Using 2 different subs often causes more problems than it cures.

Most subs only have 1 rca input. It's all the sub needs. Simply split with a Y as Randy suggested.

As for the Monster THX stuff? Good cable, just overpriced. How far is your cable run? BB has Dynek 25' cable for $20. There are better and less expensive cables but shipping would probably eat up any savings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cable Im using now I want to say is 12 ft from where it is to the reciever, if i buy a splitter and another cable from Sub A and run it behind the couch the cable i will need wont be too long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I consider just buying and running the Yamaha YST-SW216 10in for the price it seems like a decent deal....

I also saw the Element ESW12 for 150 at CC its a 12in

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpotor /forum/post/15515094

I thought it would be cool to run 2. Iv been looking around for 1 decent one but selection in my town kinda of sucks. I did check out a Yamaha YST-SW216 10in for $125 looked cool, they also had a lower end flat yamaha sub i think it was 6.5 or 8in for $100. I also went to a studio store and saw a KRK RP10s "rokit" looked pretty cool but it was $300, and I cant find much info on that brand.

This sony(SAW-M250) sub only has 1 rca input on the back but but 2 sets of speaker inputs on the back, doesn't seem very versatile. Does this forum support subcables like the Monster THX type stuff? I got one now running my sub.

Hey Ransac I live up in Chico, but I'm originally from the Sac area. Know any good places to buy stuff up here?

For cables and splitters, just go to a Radio Shack or order from MonoPrice HERE and HERE .

I'm an internet shopping guy, so I have no issue buying better subs from ID companies. It seems like you are on a limited budget, so look at some of the other threads. There are a lot of them on subs under $200. Other than that, you will have to look at Best Buy, Circuit City, or other B&M stores. I would suggest Frys, but Roseville is the closest one to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts