AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished setting up my new XBR450 and have a few questions for other owners.

Do you use the progressive out from your DVD player (480p) or interlaced out with DRC engaged (960i)? Sony recommends the latter for "motion pictures". They both look great to me.

How is the video signal handled with the different DRC modes? A previous post suggested 480i --> 960i for "interlaced" and 480i --> 480p for "progressive"

The 16:9 enhanced mode does not always engage automatically on interlaced source material. I know it has to be done manually on progressive sources in Video 5 or 6. Anyway, to me this mode results in significant vertical compression with no improvement in picture quality. Am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xrayyou:
The 16:9 enhanced mode does not always engage automatically on interlaced source material. I know it has to be done manually on progressive sources in Video 5 or 6. Anyway, to me this mode results in significant vertical compression with no improvement in picture quality. Am I missing something?
I also have a 36XBR450. You might already know this, but the source material must be anamorphic for the compression (16:9 mode) to improve anything. Not all DVD's are anamorphically enhanced (i.e., vertically stretched). So, the TV will not (or should not) go into 16:9 mode on these discs. Also, make sure that your DVD player is set to output to a 16:9 TV. Otherwise, your DVD player isn't giving you the full resolution of anamorphic DVD's. When I got my XBR450, I had to set-up the TV and then change the settings on my DVD player to output a 16:9 signal. Usually, a DVD will say on its packaging that it is "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen TV's". I watched an anamorphic DVD last night (that I had previously only seen on my last non-16:9 enhanced TV) and the difference that the 16:9 mode makes in detail and resolution is very noticeable.

Also, note that it automatically squeezes (goes into 16:9 compression) for any 1080i material. I wish I could "unsqueeze" this, but apparently I can't. Again, you must have your source (HD satellite or OTA tuner) set to output to a 16:9 TV for things to be in the correct aspect ratio.

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason:

Thanks for responding. I did not realize my DVD player had to be set to output to a 16:9 TV! One would think this sort of information would be in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI my 36XBR400 has to be manually set to 16:9 Enhanced even when playing a "enhanced for Widescreen TVS" movie like Perfect Storm But has an incredible picture.

(My DVP-NS700P is set at 16:9TV, Progressive output.)

------------------

KV-36XBR400 TV

DVP-NS700P DVD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.