·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I have been looking at both FP and RP and have not yet made up my mind. My question is whether to go with 9" or 7" CRTs. My budget can handle the 9" but I don't know if there is enough PQ difference to be worth the price differential. In my local area I have not been able to see a 9" displayed. Can the normal eye really detect the difference and why does it take a 9" gun to fully resolve a 1080i signal?

Also, can anyone give me a recommended list of FP and RP projectors with 9" guns?

Thanks for any help,

Lou Daboll

------------------

Lou Daboll

·
Registered
133 Posts
So what RPTV's today have 9" guns? Another thread said Sound & Vision magazine rated the Zenith 64" RPTV with 9" guns the best even beating out the Pioneer Elite. This set is also out of production and Zenith went back to 7" guns. So, what is available today using 9" guns?

------------------

STOP DFAST NOW!!!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Nine is better, if you can afford it, I say go for it. Most members here will agree that a 9" CRT looks visually better that a 7" CRT, for HDTV. The reason is that 9" will do more of the HDTV signal, is because they have a bigger raster face.

Here is a guide to DTV equipment:
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....splay=features

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ken. . .

That's great. Like a girlfiend once told me "Size does

Matter".

Hummer

------------------

Brown Trout - 18 3/4#

You should have seen the one that got away!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
9" guns pump out a lot more light, and so you get much better contrast with a 9" gun set. Since RPTV's don't have great contrast compared to direct view sets, it's nice to at least get the best contrast you can by going to 9" guns. I guess that goes double for front projectors.

I suspect the main reason why the Zenith got such high grades is that it upscales EVERYTHING to 1080i. If you've seen the OAR upconverts on Showtime-HD or seen what DVD's look like on a HTPC at 1080i, then that's probably almost how good the Zenith looks with a stand-alone DVD player. And although the Pioneer Elite's line doubler is often cited at the best, it's only 480p, and so Zenith may have the edge there.

The Philips 64PH9905 and 64PP9751 are a couple of other 9" gun sets. Does the Zenith actually beat them for HDTV? I doubt it, but I have never seen the Zenith. Anyway, HDTV is really impressive on the '9905 (and probably the '9751), and if you can find this discontinued model you may get a great price on it, but be prepared to live with some funky quirks.

The Mitsu 73907 weighs like half a ton but has 9" guns (I'm pretty sure), and you could add an external scaler like a DVDO iScan Pro to bring it up to about the level of the Pioneer Elite's line doubler. Even the 7" gun 907's have good contrast.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have the Zenith 64 and an HTPC for DVD playback that scales DVD video to 960 X 540p at the H & V sync rates of 1080i (60 Hz V and 33.75 kHz H), effectively bypassing the Zenith's internal scaler and the DVD image is considerably better than a regular DVD player feeding the Zenith directly. As good as the Zenith's internal scaler is (superior to the RCA DTC100's 480i to 540p scaler, for example) it's no match for what you can do with an HTPC.

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
735 Posts
FP and RP depends on the environment (space, lighting, being able to the FP.....). The FP will give you more of a cinematic feel. I personally like front projectors because there just seems to be a certain quality to reflected light on canvas like material that I like. I believe the human eye was designed to see the sun's reflection and not the sun directly.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Dave,

The Zenith is definitely still available. I don't believe they have been discontinued yet. Expect to pay about $6,000.

Abdul,

I had seen the Philips set and IMHO thought the Zenith was both sharper & cleaner in it's HD picture. I didn't see the Philips with DVD though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.