AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yup...Same here. I love my XA-2. I still watch HD DVD movies now and again. What does irk me is all of the Warner titles that have disc rot. I have yet to check all of them, but at least 15 are unplayable, so far (my 3 Bourne titles all have it!) But, as we all know, the XA-2 is one of the best players for standard DVD. I'll run this puppy till the wheels fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower  /t/1467518/seven-years-ago-hd-dvd-landed#post_23428162

Yup...Same here. I love my XA-2. I still watch HD DVD movies now and again. What does irk me is all of the Warner titles that have disc rot. I have yet to check all of them, but at least 15 are unplayable, so far (my 3 Bourne titles all have it!) But, as we all know, the XA-2 is one of the best players for standard DVD. I'll run this puppy till the wheels fall off.

Agree w/ everything you said. Love the XA2 and hate the disc rot!

But now that I have the Oppo 103, I'm going to do some subjective tests to see what I like better for DVD's.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My HDA1 is my primary DVD player in my dedicated HT. I use it when I compare a DVD to a upgraded BD, to see if I got stung or not. I've had it since the day it came out and it's still going strong. I have 20 movies left because the BDs never upgraded the audio, so why double dip.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I still have a XA2, A1,A3,Xbox add on, and an Onkyo 805. They all work flawlessly. As far as my movies go, I have approximately 120, and haven't found any with disc rot. I not too long ago ripped them all to my PC, and so I tested them. Now, I don't know if this matters, but all my movies were bought as they were released from Warner ( so I paid the first release high prices ), so maybe first run pressings were better. I'm just grasping at any idea that might explain why all my discs are fine.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966  /t/1467518/seven-years-ago-hd-dvd-landed#post_23437587

I still have a XA2, A1,A3,Xbox add on, and an Onkyo 805. They all work flawlessly. As far as my movies go, I have approximately 120, and haven't found any with disc rot. I not too long ago ripped them all to my PC, and so I tested them. Now, I don't know if this matters, but all my movies were bought as they were released from Warner ( so I paid the first release high prices ), so maybe first run pressings were better. I'm just grasping at any idea that might explain why all my discs are fine.

Could be the first pressing were better. Another is the the Xbox360 add-on player is less likely to give read errors than the Toshiba stand alone player. I had only 8 Warner disc out of over 150 that failed to rip, but it's likely that more than that won't play through flawlessly in the XA2. However I have the BH200 for backup, and it will play anything the Add-on player will (and even a few more I think).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow, i feel like I was late to the party. I remember waking up early one morning to stop at Wal-Mart when the A2 went on sale for $99- I think it was Novemeber'07

And who can forget the 5(?) free movies that came with it!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I remember that day well. I walked into Walmart, and picked up the last 3 A2's. There was a mountain of a dude that came in after me that wanted to kill me. I couldn't leave the place fast enough. On Christmas, I gave one to my son, one to my daughter, and one for the wife and I. That same A2 is still in use in the master bedroom. Ah, those were the days!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Home entertainment-wise, for me nothing ever beat the thrill of going to Best Buy after work on launch day, getting the last of three players and a movie, and taking it home to watch HD for the first time.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames  /t/1467518/seven-years-ago-hd-dvd-landed#post_23451748

Home entertainment-wise, for me nothing ever beat the thrill of going to Best Buy after work on launch day, getting the last of three players and a movie, and taking it home to watch HD for the first time.

You're telling me! I lived in a basement apartment at the time, local cable didn't offer HD yet, and if I was lucky, I could pick up a local station using an indoor antenna

I was in heaven not having to jerry rig anything, and just be able to load a disk and actually watch HD in ym living room!

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower  /t/1467518/seven-years-ago-hd-dvd-landed#post_23449458

I remember that day well. I walked into Walmart, and picked up the last 3 A2's. There was a mountain of a dude that came in after me that wanted to kill me. I couldn't leave the place fast enough. On Christmas, I gave one to my son, one to my daughter, and one for the wife and I. That same A2 is still in use in the master bedroom. Ah, those were the days!

They had 3 things on sale that morning- I remember being in line counting the people in front of me hoping I would still get a player

Then some lady just walks up to the manager and asks for one, AND HE HANDED IT OVER! I thought people were going to riot!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well its been another year as this month marks 8 years since HD DVD hit the ground running.

I cannot believe how fast time is going. We are going to be old men (and women) at this rate.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst  /t/1467518/seven-years-ago-hd-dvd-landed/30#post_24573551

I cannot believe how fast time is going. We are going to be old men (and women) at this rate.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Reactions: Macroblocker

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I was so sure HD would win the format war.....
I bought into both, but kinda regret it now that I have all these Warner discs that don't work!

But I'm covered with 3 Toshiba HD-XA2 players! 2 are boxed up in reserve in case the primary fails.

Though I doubt it will as they're built like tanks!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I bought into both, but kinda regret it now that I have all these Warner discs that don't work!

But I'm covered with 3 Toshiba HD-XA2 players! 2 are boxed up in reserve in case the primary fails.

Though I doubt it will as they're built like tanks!
My very first HD title was John Carpenters The Thing, but I awited to buy second generation hardware, aka HD-A2's.
I also bought a BD player the Sammy 1500 so was format agnostic, but with a preference for HD-DVD.
I still have 2 HD-A2's, and HD-A20, and 2 HD-XA2's and a ton of discs.......

BTW-I also have several D-Theater DVHS decks and round bout 100 D-Theater titles! So yes, I collect dead formats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always love to see the demise of certain technologies. I'm fascinated by the VHS, Betamax wars, the Casette/8track, CD/digital/casette. Old formats die off for a reason. Sometimes the other format should have won, because it had far superior technology. With every advantage, comes an almost equal annoyance or disadvantage with those medias. Darwinism chooses the next media format.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was having this discussion with my wife yesterday (she's a few years younger than I - 28 vs 33) and she didn't even know there WAS an HD-DVD....

What caused it to lose out in the end? Admittingly I waited and kept on with DVDs until Blu-ray nailed the coffin shut...

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I was having this discussion with my wife yesterday (she's a few years younger than I - 28 vs 33) and she didn't even know there WAS an HD-DVD....

What caused it to lose out in the end? Admittingly I waited and kept on with DVDs until Blu-ray nailed the coffin shut...
Sony had more money than Toshiba. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Final nail in the coffin was the $500 million bribe Sony paid to Paramount to switch to Blu. Sony was also giving manufacturers a $3 credit per disc to manufacture BDs. That made the cost between HD-DVD and BD about equal but the fail rate for BD at the time was around 60% vs. 10-15% for HD-DVD. Cycle times for BD-25 was around 4.5 seconds and 6 seconds for BD-50 vs 2.0 to 2.5 seconds for HD-DVD. The disc lines the manufacturer used for HD-DVD only required a $25,000 coating/curing station upgrade to convert them from DVD to HD-DVD production but BD required new lines costing about $2 million each to make BD.
I'm sorry but I can't believe this post went unnoticed.Where is your sources? And the rumor was actually the BDA bribing Warner, which is still a rumor without any sources. The fact you used "Sony", I sense bias and prejudice in your post. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't believe this post went unnoticed.Where is your sources? And the rumor was actually the BDA bribing Warner, which is still a rumor without any sources. The fact you used "Sony", I sense bias and prejudice in your post. :rolleyes:
I cannot imagine why anyone wants to dredge all this up at this late date.
It's over. Blu-Ray won. But it never managed to displace DVD, so Toshiba is collecting all their money for every player manufactured and every title that includes a DVD copy.
Blu-ray needs to worry about how long ANY optical media based distribution product/system will last in the coming years . . .

21 - 40 of 154 Posts