AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, lurker/ first time poster.

Here's my issue....I've got a 18 x 20 room and can either go with a 55 over the fireplace (centered but bottom of panel will be about 5.5 feet off the ground or with a smaller unit in the cabinet unit framing the sides of the fireplace. If I go with the 42" on the shelf it would be optimum viewing level but the vt series isn't available in a 42.

Would you recommend going with the 55vt30 in the non optimal viewing height or stick with 42 in the corner shelf? If you'd go with 42, which model would you recommend? (open to mfg, but must be plasma).

I have a 58 panasonic in my basement (09 model), so I do have a larger panel in the house, but need to get something for my family room. Mounting elsewhere is NOT an option (wife) so appreciate perspective on my 2 limited options.

Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Unless your seating position is fairly far away, would not (personally) opt for the high mounting option - although it is possible you could mitigate that with an articulating mount.

Beyond the actual location, what other logistical problems might arise from above fireplace? (Mounting into brick? A "real" fireplace - with possible heat & smoke issues?)

With a large tv already available in the basement, might be OK to simply run a 42" upstairs. We have such an arrangement - albeit with a 50" downstairs - and I have found that it helps by limiting my "upstairs" viewing to full-screen (16:9) material - most broadcast HD TV shows - while using the larger screen (and better sound system) for DVDs, which - whether HD or SD - tend to be be letterboxed, which, of course, reduces the effective screen size...

Then again, the greater size differential in your case would make the change more obvious - but in the end only you (& your wife) can decide whether it "hurts more" to crane your necks or be limited to a smaller screen....

Could also argue that mounting a set THAT HIGH would require such a far seating distance - for comfortable viewing - that it would at least somewhat offset the advantage of a larger screen. Whereas it might be possible to place a nice cozy loveseat right in front of the low-mounted 42" set...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had a 46" mounted over a fireplace in my last home. I hated it. I only would do so if you can use a tilt mount, and if your seating reclines. If not, I suggest sticking with the 42" By the way, the 42ST30 is great bang for the buck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.