AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to get a 120 GB slim PS3 after not having a Playstation since the original.

Background information.... I have an Onkyo 606 receiver and Optoma HD20 projector w/ a 98" screen. The PS3 is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

I've played around with the PS3 for a few days now and have a few questions for those who have had one for a while:

1) What audio setting should I set the PS3 on? Bitstream or Linear PCM.... and what is the difference.

2) Sometimes I have problems with the video output where it says the picture is 1080p, but the screen is black. I can hear the sound of the game, but no picture is present. Help??

3) So far the only game I have is MLB 2010: The Show. Whenever I play this game, it seems to "shrink" the picture. Instead of the normal full 98", it loses 4-5 inches of picture and doesn't fit the whole screen.

Is there a way to fix this or is this normal?

4) Is there a good PS3 FAQ site or a "how to get the most out of your PS3" site that someone would suggest???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMac210 /forum/post/18241671

I finally decided to get a 120 GB slim PS3 after not having a Playstation since the original.

Background information.... I have an Onkyo 606 receiver and Optoma HD20 projector w/ a 98" screen. The PS3 is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

I've played around with the PS3 for a few days now and have a few questions for those who have had one for a while:

1) What audio setting should I set the PS3 on? Bitstream or Linear PCM.... and what is the difference. I have the Onkyo 606 and I set the PS3 on all the audio setting and let the AMP do the rest

2) Sometimes I have problems with the video output where it says the picture is 1080p, but the screen is black. I can hear the sound of the game, but no picture is present. Help?? Did you set the video output to HDMI or just changed the audio output? The video might be trying to come out from another source

3) So far the only game I have is MLB 2010: The Show. Whenever I play this game, it seems to "shrink" the picture. Instead of the normal full 98", it loses 4-5 inches of picture and doesn't fit the whole screen. What display can MLB 2010 can do? full 1080P or 720? Weird tho, it should take the whole screen. Maybe try the option in-game to allign the screen.

4) Is there a good PS3 FAQ site or a "how to get the most out of your PS3" site that someone would suggest???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian

hope it helps...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard /forum/post/18241881

2) Sometimes I have problems with the video output where it says the picture is 1080p, but the screen is black. I can hear the sound of the game, but no picture is present. Help??

Did you set the video output to HDMI or just changed the audio output? The video might be trying to come out from another source

I'm not currently at home, but I believe the setting was: VIDEO OUTPUT==> AUTOMATIC

It then set the output to 1080p.

I'm wondering if there is some type of sync problem for the games that are not native 1080p. For instance the "Drake's Fortune 2" demo first went to blank screen, but did have sound. The screen stated it was in 1080p.

I then backed out to the main menu, restarted the demo and had full video/audio but this time the screen was in 720p.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMac210 /forum/post/18242035

I'm not currently at home, but I believe the setting was: VIDEO OUTPUT==> AUTOMATIC

It then set the output to 1080p.

I'm wondering if there is some type of sync problem for the games that are not native 1080p. For instance the "Drake's Fortune 2" demo first went to blank screen, but did have sound. The screen stated it was in 1080p.

I then backed out to the main menu, restarted the demo and had full video/audio but this time the screen was in 720p.

I'm assuming your displaying this on a screen because of the screen size. Can the Projector do 720,1080i and 1080p? If so, make sure that your video output settings are set for 480, 720 and 1080i and 1080p. The PS3 might be trying to output the signal into 1080P but since the game or video is only in 720P it doesn't work. hence the restart at 720p. Try the manual setting for the video and select the type of video resolution your TV/Projector can handle (best would be all if it can!)

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMac210 /forum/post/18241671

3) So far the only game I have is MLB 2010: The Show. Whenever I play this game, it seems to "shrink" the picture. Instead of the normal full 98", it loses 4-5 inches of picture and doesn't fit the whole screen.

I saw this with MLB 09 The Show - the game defaults to outputting its video expecting some overscan on your display. In the game you can correct this in the video settings area. If I recall correctly, the game keeps this setting for future games, so you only need to do it once.

I'd suspect that MLB 2010 is the same/similar in this regard.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yeah, in The Show, there's a pretty detailed graphics setting menu. You can change horizontal scale, vertical scale, and screen position. It preserves aspect ratio when changing vertical or horizontal, so it's pretty easy to get it the way you want it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts