AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an existing 5.1 setup with (2) Boston Acostics VR2Bs, the VRC and CR67Bs for my rears. I also have a Velodyne 1200B sub. This is all hooked up to a Sony STRDG-800 reciever.

Now I have been very happy with this setup, however my company is running a temproary promotion with Polk Audio. I could get (2) TSi500s for $321 or (2) RTiA7s for $550 total

Before I can decide if I can afford the better RTiA7s I need to know if I'll need to upgrade anything else. How do I determine if my BA center channel will match the Polk floorstandings?

(IF it helps, the frequencey response for the center is 48HZ-20kHz and 150 watts compared to 20Hz-27kHz and 300watts of the RTiA7s)

Also, will my sony STRDG-800 be enough to power the Polks? It has 110 watts per channel. If it doesn't what should I be looking for in a new reciever? (I have a neighbor whos looking to sell a Pioneer VSX816k)

I am also a bit confused about frequencey resposne. It has to do with the the frequencey at which the speaker can produce noise right? What would be some good frequencey response ratings for floor standing speakers? The VR2s have a 41Hz-20kHz, the TSi500 28Hz-25kHz, and the RTiA7s 20Hz-27kHz

Unfortunately there is no place in the area that has either Polk speakers to listen to although I know I like the sound of their monitor 50s as my friend has some.

Thanks for any and all help/advice you guys give

I don't know if its important, but I see other people include it so:

Room size 13x17

Music 70% Movies 30%

·
The Village Idiot
9,831 Posts
Your Sony will drive the A7s just fine. That would be my pick. Your BA center probably won't be a perfect match timbre wise but if I were you, with the ratio of music to movies/tv, who cares? Shut off all but the 2 fronts and sub for music anyway.

I'd be surprised if the A7 gets anywhere near 20hz. Maybe 50-60hz with any impact.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.