AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a Fry's this afternoon specifically to check out the Sony KDL-405100 and I was stunned by the interlace jaggies in the picture. Any time there was motion in the picture the difference between the scan lines of one field and the other field could be as much as half an inch. I grabbed the remote and tried the various setting for motion compensation or whatever Sony calls it to no avail, finally turning everything off. Even the salesperson couldn't correct it.

The TV was getting some sort of RF as antenna was the only available selection. The immediately adjacent tv's were showing something else and later I did notice it on other tv's showing this signal source though maybe not as badly.

What could be up with their signal that would cause this? It was enough to cause me to reconsider whether I should consider this model but I saw them in other stores and the PQ was good. Is this anything to be concerned about or was it truly just some sort of messed up signal source?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Which 40510? The S, V, W, or Z?

Actually, it doesn't matter because it must have had something to do with Fry's signal. I have noticed some pretty crappy pictures on some TVs at my local Fry's and I'm sure it isn't their TVs.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I work at Sears and some of the Sonys (V-series and below with BE2) exhibit the same effect during some segments of our store feed, most specifically the Wii game promo and a few others. Our feed comes off a Sencore hard drive transmitting 1080i over ATSC channel 14-1 and 480i over NTSC channel 3, distributed to the tvs via CoAx and tuned by each set's internal tuners. I think a lot of the content on that demo loop is actually poorly upconverted 480i in video mode. The effect probably won't ever show up on normal home feeds. I think manually changing the "cinemotion" setting (3/2 pulldown for 480 sources--not related to the motionflow interpolation settings) to "video" from "auto" may fix it. About the only time it would show up in your home is when watching an SD DVD's special features if the particular feature is originally shot on video. Also, reducing the sharpness setting sometimes helps.

The W and above series Sonys with BE3 processors don't exhibit the effect at all.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've seen so many lousy looking displays in so many stores that I can't figure out how so many flat panel TV's are even sold every year. Absolutely horrible feeds connected to TV's set up by minimum wage workers. Even many good looking setups are marred by MTV style content - are you listening Best Buy?- that makes it impossible to judge what even looks good.

That's my rant for the day!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
store demo feeds vary from ok to terrible

they never offer blu-ray quality and rarely display good broadcast quality you will find with OTA HDTV or a quality HD service

many stores will setup a certian TV with a BD player to get people to buy it, sometimes at manufactures expense to promote the TV

the panasonic 37" S1 comes to mind at sears every sears i've been to locally has the panasonic viera link demo setup with that TV running a blu-ray demo disc making it look much better than other sets most of the time

my Local frys has almost all samsung LED's setup at the ends of each row with a BD player to draw people into buying them with the exception of the 65" Sony W5100 on one end cap

fortunately they do put high end plasmas into the HT/Speaker test rooms so people can get a look at what plasma is capable of as well

BoilerJim, they have fry's in Illinois now? wow they sure are spreading out i guess I remember back in the day when Fry's was just a bay area electronics chain and did not even have stores in other parts of California

Fry's first electronics store was actually here in my city Fremont and before they got into electronics they were actually a grocery store!

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18135860

I work at Sears and some of the Sonys (V-series and below with BE2) exhibit the same effect during some segments of our store feed, most specifically the Wii game promo and a few others. Our feed comes off a Sencore hard drive transmitting 1080i over ATSC channel 14-1 and 480i over NTSC channel 3, distributed to the tvs via CoAx and tuned by each set's internal tuners. I think a lot of the content on that demo loop is actually poorly upconverted 480i in video mode. The effect probably won't ever show up on normal home feeds. I think manually changing the "cinemotion" setting (3/2 pulldown for 480 sources--not related to the motionflow interpolation settings) to "video" from "auto" may fix it. About the only time it would show up in your home is when watching an SD DVD's special features if the particular feature is originally shot on video. Also, reducing the sharpness setting sometimes helps.

The W and above series Sonys with BE3 processors don't exhibit the effect at all.

It'd be really wierd to go to a retail store and meet an employee who knew what they were talking about.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebert /forum/post/18136502

It'd be really wierd to go to a retail store and meet an employee who knew what they were talking about.

yeah if Fresno was a but closer to me i may have considered going to the Fresno sears to meet steve, he knows much much more than most TV salespeople in stores

i did end up buying my Panny 37" S1 at the Hayward, CA Sears because they never canceled the order like i told them to at the time i ordered it and decided hey why not pick it up and give it a shot sense i had already paid for the thing and they shipped one there for me apparently

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.