AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends parents bought a radio shack outdoor antenna months ago for the DTV transition. Now they suffer from severe rain fade (loose all channels, even really strong ones). At first I was told that it happened when it was overcast. But it is more when it rains, and for awhile afterwards even after the sky clears. I hooked up a CM7777 amp for them to see if it would help, but no go.

I can think of two things. The antenna or coax has a problem with water somewhere. Or rain on the tree leaves. Their antenna is pointed at lots of trees. But it is just weird. They get a descent signal the rest of the time. And they have a better tvfool plot than me so should get better signal. I don't loose mine in the rain with an antenna at ground level, although it does break up some.

Could the trees cause this? Or should I be focused on the antenna?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Rain should not affect OTA reception via antenna. When we have our extra heavy summer Florida storms, we sometimes lose satellite reception, while the OTA is not affected. Our antenna is pointed directly at tall trees.

I suspect that your OTA rain problem might be caused by faulty cable connection at the antenna or at an outdoor splitter if there is one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am going to ask if they have enough water pressure with a hose to reach the antenna, and get it wet on a dry day and see what happens. And the coax too. Something to start with anyway.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If the wind is kicking up along with the rain - yes, it can cause enough multipath to disrupt OTA reception. Wet leaves do bad things to RF

But I'd agree - check the coax and fittings first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told them to try the hose, will have to wait and see (whenever they get around to trying it). But I had assumed that it had rained heavy there since it did here. He said that they only got a few sprinkles, all the heavy rain went around them. They loose it in heavy cloud cover, and for an hour or more after rain moves though the area. Very weird.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened with me after a very hard and long rainstorm couple of months ago. I went through all the connections and re-waterproofed at the baluns and coax connectors and reconnected; haven't had a problem since. So moisture had apparantly got inside somewhere. otherwise I ever have any problem with rain fade. Was watching a program from a station 63 miles distant during a hard rain just the other day also looking sort of through a large oak tree; didn't affect the signal one iota.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus57 /forum/post/16944095

My friends parents bought a radio shack outdoor antenna months ago for the DTV transition. Now they suffer from severe rain fade (loose all channels, even really strong ones). At first I was told that it happened when it was overcast. But it is more when it rains, and for awhile afterwards even after the sky clears. I hooked up a CM7777 amp for them to see if it would help, but no go.

I can think of two things. The antenna or coax has a problem with water somewhere. Or rain on the tree leaves. Their antenna is pointed at lots of trees. But it is just weird. They get a descent signal the rest of the time. And they have a better tvfool plot than me so should get better signal. I don't loose mine in the rain with an antenna at ground level, although it does break up some.

Could the trees cause this? Or should I be focused on the antenna?

Some Radio Shack antennas have been crap. One engineer I talked to went to someone's house and couldn't get one hint of signal with a radio shack model, but stuck a dipole up and got the signal with no problem. Can you tell us what model it is? I am almost betting the model they have doesn't have much gain.

I just checked RS website, and they have taken off a LOT of their prior models, and now are carrying antennacraft models I haven't seen at their site before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have now found a bad coax connection, inside the house at that. It still has to be fixed, but he told me that his mom wiggled some wires and they are now getting tv in the rain. We are still planning on checking and sealing all the connections outside, but now at least they don't have to do the hose test. Never would have thought it was something inside that was causing the problem. Hopefully that is the only problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.