AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my PS3 today and while in the main menu area, the screen started flickering rapidly. At some points snow and lines were displayed on the screen. This happens in the middle of game play too.

Is that an indication that the video card is malfunctioning? Or could it be something silly like a bad HDMI cable?

I recently replaced the blu-ray laser eye, but I doubt that's the reason because the flickering happens in the main screen before a game is loaded.

Is it possible to replace the video card or is it built-into the motherboard?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would saying trying a few new HDMI cables would be a good start. The graphics card is attached to the motherboard so you would have to get a whole new one if you were gonna go that route. Not really sure what the problem could be but try switching the hdmi. But from doing some reading about HDMI is that either they work or they don't, I pretty sure there is not an in between.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica /forum/post/18269352

I started up my PS3 today and while in the main menu area, the screen started flickering rapidly. At some points snow and lines were displayed on the screen. This happens in the middle of game play too.

Is that an indication that the video card is malfunctioning? Or could it be something silly like a bad HDMI cable?

I recently replaced the blu-ray laser eye, but I doubt that's the reason because the flickering happens in the main screen before a game is loaded.

Is it possible to replace the video card or is it built-into the motherboard?

The flickering/snow that you're seeing is a symptom of failing HDCP connection. That could be caused by the HDMI cable/connectors, or hardware inside the PS3. I had that problem and it turned out that the HDMI connector on my TV had become partially unsoldered from the circuit board. It was a ***** to repair, but all is well now.

Swapping stuff around will help to establish where the problem is.

P.J.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/18277701

The flickering/snow that you're seeing is a symptom of failing HDCP connection. That could be caused by the HDMI cable/connectors

You were correct. The HDMI connector was almost, but not quite, securely snug into the back of the TV. I pushed it in a bit, and the issue disappeared. I played COD6: MW2 for a good hour without any flickering. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts