AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It seemed like most screen companies were highlighting ambient light-rejecting (ALR) screens at CEDIA this year. Seymour-Screen Excellence showed its new Ambient-Visionaire material, which is available with three gain values: 1.2, 1.3, and 2.1. The 1.3 version has a 70° half-gain angle—Chris Seymour calls this version the videophile's ALR screen—while the 1.2 version (pictured above) has a 45° half-gain angle. Notice that the left side of the screen is darker than the right side, which is at a shallower angle to the camera. The company claims there is no color shift at any angle, which seemed to be the case.

The material includes a layer of randomly oriented nanomirrors—over a billion on the surface of the 120" (diagonal) demo screen seen above. Seymour-Screen Excellence claims this is a more-efficient way to filter ambient light than other approaches, and it eliminates sparkles. In addition, carbon particles between the mirrors absorb light, which, along with a dark substrate, results in a dark gray screen when no image is being shown.

Randomly oriented nanomirrors cover the surface of the Ambient-Visionaire material, surrounded by carbon particles, all on a light-absorbing substrate.

This is a very interesting approach to ALR screens; I hope to get Chris Seymour and his French counterpart at Screen Excellence on the Home Theater Geeks podcast to talk about it in more depth.

Return to Master CEDIA 2014 Thread

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have both samples on the wall now. Viewing cone on AV is far far more than on BD, also color shift on AV vs BD is almost nonexistent. All in all there is finally a screen to look at without regretting money spent. My only concern that Seymour is in tight supply for samples and they sent me a small-size sample vs. BD that is 12x12. I also really prefer Seymour AV to Stewart's FirehawkG4, they are all samples on the wall now. Seymour AV did address two issues:
  • viewing cone
  • color shift

Any comparison to the black diamond screens?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have both samples on the wall now. Viewing cone on AV is far far more than on BD, also color shift on AV vs BD is almost nonexistent. All in all there is finally a screen to look at without regretting money spent. My only concern that Seymour is in tight supply for samples and they sent me a small-size sample vs. BD that is 12x12. I also really prefer Seymour AV to Stewart's FirehawkG4, they are all samples on the wall now. Seymour AV did address two issues:
  • viewing cone
  • color shift
thanks! Did you see any other screen at CEDIA including the Elite ? I have the 110" zero edge BD 0.8 Gain but my room is much brighter after the remodel than I expected. Using a Sony HW55. It looks great at dusk, night, during the day it's ok but not great.

Thinking of upgrading to 120" 1.4 gain BD zero edge. But maybe the Seymour is better? I'm looking for something for a bright living room. The zero edge also looks great on the wall. Is the seymour similar in zero edge asthetics? WAF factor in play.

·
Registered
30,729 Posts
thanks! Did you see any other screen at CEDIA including the Elite ? I have the 110" zero edge BD 0.8 Gain but my room is much brighter after the remodel than I expected. Using a Sony HW55. It looks great at dusk, night, during the day it's ok but not great.

Thinking of upgrading to 120" 1.4 gain BD zero edge. But maybe the Seymour is better? I'm looking for something for a bright living room. The zero edge also looks great on the wall. Is the seymour similar in zero edge asthetics? WAF factor in play.
You can get a zero edge look from Seymour. I have samples of his screens. It was nice to be able to see a full size image. If you would like to discuss, give us a call.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Any word on pricing and whether or not this will be available in a retractable model? It seems counter-intuitive that many ALR screens are only available in fixed frame… seems to be missing a big chunk of the ALR market (those without dedicated theaters that would like the screen out of sight/mind when not in use… preferably in-ceiling).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sparkling on Seymour AV is minimal in comparison to BD based on smaller samples. I am waiting for Seymour to improve their supply issues and will try to obtain larger size samples from them for Ambient Visionnaire, the one I have now is not large enough IMO. You do need a bigger piece to check for sparkling. I do not know why when asked for larger samples sellers act a bit irritated. I will test for as long as I need to before I spend $2000+ on the screen, this may not be a lot to majority of the crowd on this highest-end forum but I certainly think that $2000 is a big-ticket purchase.

I'm curious if the sparkling on this screen is any better (less) vs the black diamond

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Just ordered one.

After looking at the samples and comparing them to Draper and SI I decided to order EAV 1.4 from Seymour. Just want
to give a shout out to Jon at Seymour who was very informative in me making my decision. Going against the grain in that I have a total light controlled room and dark surfaces but am tired of living like a vampire. Should have in about 10 day's. :)So looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I thought the new screen was going to be a higher gain AT screen..well, I guess this is still good news for those dealing high ambient light levels.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Should have mine by Tuesday has anyone else ordered the Black 1.4. Going to match it up
with a Marantz 11S2 should be a good combo.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
  • viewing cone
  • color shift
Which AV screen do you have? The 2.0, 1.3, or the 1.2?

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seymour-Screen Excellence Comparison to Screen Innovations

Any comparison to the black diamond screens?
Hi, Paul Muto here - I handle the sales & marketing for Seymour-Screen Excellence. We just officially launched the the Ambient-Visionaire at CEDIA Expo. I'm presently working with the press to have evaluations done so stay tuned. We provided samples this summer to independent reference calibrator W. Jeff Meier who declared Seymour-Screen Excellence Ambient-Visionaire best-in-class in his AccuCal Lab June 2014 projection screen report. He is an independent third party. Go to seymourscreenexcellence .com and click on the "Screens" link, then scroll down to 2nd paragraph and click on BEST IN CLASS to open his report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seymour-Screen Excellence now making Ambient-Visionaire in a Retractable

Any word on pricing and whether or not this will be available in a retractable model? It seems counter-intuitive that many ALR screens are only available in fixed frame… seems to be missing a big chunk of the ALR market (those without dedicated theaters that would like the screen out of sight/mind when not in use… preferably in-ceiling).

Hi Dougri, Paul Muto here - I handle the sales & marketing for Seymour-Screen Excellence. We are just now making the new Ambient-Visionaire in a retractable! Its available for the same price as our retractable outfitted with the acoustically transparent Enlightor4K screen surface.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi gadgetfreaky, Paul Muto here - I handle the sales & marketing for Seymour-Screen Excellence. The answer is Yes and Yes! That is to say, sounds like the Seymour-Screen Excellence Black Series would fit the bill for your application. That's what we showed at the CEDIA Expo this month and everyone was impressed because we kept the flood lights on over our booth exhibit and the image really popped. We even dumbed down the brightness on the demo projector. And yes we have an assortment of very slim bezel's now as part of our offerings. Check me out on Twitter @mutoCommPR .... I just posted a video of Chris Seymour demoing the ALR at CEDIA Expo

1 - 20 of 69 Posts