AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Should have mine by Tuesday has anyone else ordered the Black 1.4. Going to match it up
with a Marantz 11S2 should be a good combo.
Is that a Black Diamond screen from Screen Innovations or an Elite Screens Dark Star? I think those are the only ambient light screens that come in a 1.4 gain...

Dave

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hi, Paul Muto here - I handle the sales & marketing for Seymour-Screen Excellence. We just officially launched the the Ambient-Visionaire at CEDIA Expo. I'm presently working with the press to have evaluations done so stay tuned. We provided samples this summer to independent reference calibrator W. Jeff Meier who declared Seymour-Screen Excellence Ambient-Visionaire best-in-class in his AccuCal Lab June 2014 projection screen report. He is an independent third party. Go to seymourscreenexcellence .com and click on the "Screens" link, then scroll down to 2nd paragraph and click on BEST IN CLASS to open his report.
Hi Paul,

I looked at that report, and I believe it reports problems with sparkles on the Ambient-Visionaire screen. I thought that screen was supposed to eliminate the sparkles?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hi gadgetfreaky, Paul Muto here - I handle the sales & marketing for Seymour-Screen Excellence. The answer is Yes and Yes! That is to say, sounds like the Seymour-Screen Excellence Black Series would fit the bill for your application. That's what we showed at the CEDIA Expo this month and everyone was impressed because we kept the flood lights on over our booth exhibit and the image really popped. We even dumbed down the brightness on the demo projector. And yes we have an assortment of very slim bezel's now as part of our offerings. Check me out on Twitter @mut oCommPR .... I just posted a video of Chris Seymour demoing the ALR at CEDIA Expo
Hi Paul,

Was that a DP projector that you used? I'm guessing it had tons of lumens, so even when dumbing down the brightness on one of those, it's still probably 2-3 times the lumens of the Sony HW55 that gadgetfreaky mentioned. I'm "guessing" that with the 1.2 gain material, you would need a 3000-5000 lumen projector to have it look good during the daytime?

Don't get me wrong, I want to like it. In fact, I've requested samples of the 1.2 and 1.3 materials from Mike Garrett here at AVS. I'll be comparing with the SI BD 1.4, Elite Screens DarkStar 1.4, Firehawk G4, DNP .8, and DNP 2.3 samples (I already have these samples).

Unless the Ambient-Visionaire changes my mind, I think it's too cost prohibitive to use an ambient light screen for day and night TV. It would take something like a DP projector, which is very expensive.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
The new material is Black 1.4 and I compared this to the black diamond 1.4
and The Seymour look better to my eye's at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The new material is Black 1.4 and I compared this to the black diamond 1.4
and The Seymour look better to my eye's at a fraction of the cost.
I don't think Seymour has a 1.4 gain screen. They have 1.2, 1.3, and 2.1. Which one do you have have again???

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ambient-Visionaire demo at CEDIA

Hi Paul,

Was that a DP projector that you used? I'm guessing it had tons of lumens, so even when dumbing down the brightness on one of those, it's still probably 2-3 times the lumens of the Sony HW55 that gadgetfreaky mentioned. I'm "guessing" that with the 1.2 gain material, you would need a 3000-5000 lumen projector to have it look good during the daytime?

Don't get me wrong, I want to like it. In fact, I've requested samples of the 1.2 and 1.3 materials from Mike Garrett here at AVS. I'll be comparing with the SI BD 1.4, Elite Screens DarkStar 1.4, Firehawk G4, DNP .8, and DNP 2.3 samples (I already have these samples).

Unless the Ambient-Visionaire changes my mind, I think it's too cost prohibitive to use an ambient light screen for day and night TV. It would take something like a DP projector, which is very expensive.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave, we used a Christie projector at CEDIA. Chris Seymour did the set-up the day before the show. I overheard him say that while its output is 3,000 lumens, he tweaked the output to that of about 1,500 lumens because he wanted to make it more realistic as to what most folks would have at home projector-wise. -Paul

·
Registered
31,219 Posts
I don't think Seymour has a 1.4 gain screen. They have 1.2, 1.3, and 2.1. Which one do you have have again???

Dave
What do you mean by fraction of the cost? I thought they cost very close to the same??

Dave
You two are talking two different screens. Seymour AV has a Matinee Black listing 1.4 gain. Screen Excellence (manufactured in the US by Seymour AV) has Ambient Visionaire listing gain of 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1. They are not the same screens. AVS is a dealer for both.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hi Dave, we used a Christie projector at CEDIA. Chris Seymour did the set-up the day before the show. I overheard him say that while its output is 3,000 lumens, he tweaked the output to that of about 1,500 lumens because he wanted to make it more realistic as to what most folks would have at home projector-wise. -Paul
Thanks Paul! That 1500 lumens certainly puts it in the same ball park as the Sony HW55. So, are you saying that it's only 1500 lumens on the 1.2 screen shown in post #1 of this thread?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You two are talking two different screens. Seymour AV has a Matinee Black listing 1.4 gain. Screen Excellence (manufactured in the US by Seymour AV) has Ambient Visionaire listing gain of 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1. They are not the same screens. AVS is a dealer for both.
Thanks so much Mike! I had thought it was the Ambient-Visionaire, since that's what this thread is titled. OK, so now I'm curious. Can someone please explain the difference between the Matinee Black and the Ambient-Visionaire materials?

Dave

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Hi Paul,

I looked at that report, and I believe it reports problems with sparkles on the Ambient-Visionaire screen. I thought that screen was supposed to eliminate the sparkles?

Thanks,
Dave
It will still have an amped-up, reflective look to it, as it is a positive gain screen and not a Lambertian/scatter type screen. This reflectivity is what Jeff is referring to. The Ambient-Visionaire eliminates individual sparkles because each pixel has enough reflective elements to guarantee that each pixel has to respond in the same manner as the next. In a 1080p screen, it can have over 10,000 reflectors per pixel. Even though they are stacked, doped with carbon and dithered at angle, there is more than enough coverage to guarantee uniformity. By using a more efficient method of ambient filtration, the screen can be less aggressive with reduced artifacts.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Black Matinee
Non-AT, for light color rooms with severe ambient light
36 degree viewing angle, 1.9xW minimum projector distance
6500K D65 dark gray, 1.4 gain
No minimum seating distance, 4K video rated
Grommet and o-ring installation

What was recommended to me....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Mike-
what is the size of the samples that you guys are providing for AV 1.3? I got a very small sample from Seymour but all other manufacturers' samples are larger, I am trying to see how screen interfaces with the room walls/ceiling and on the 5"x5" sample it is a bit small to see it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Wow, if these folks are providing screen samples that are 5"x5", they're really doing themselves a disservice. It's going to be difficult to make a $3K purchase decision, based upon a 5"x5" sample. I wonder how many potential sales they will lose, by short-changing customers on the samples??

If they're worried about costs, I'd be happy to pay a "reasonable" price for a larger sample.

Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm looking at the Seymour Excellence Ambient Visionaire and Seymour AV Matinee Black. The Matinee Black seems to have limited viewing angle. The Ambient Visionaire has a better viewing angle and more options with 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1 gain. Is the Matinee Black for the more budget-minded or is are other reasons to pick the Matinee Black? I'm looking for a screen that works with a lot of sunlight coming from the windows to the side of the screen and not overhead lights. Like Thezaks stated, I can't make a decision based on a small sample and there's no places to view the screens.

·
Registered
31,219 Posts
Hi Mike-
what is the size of the samples that you guys are providing for AV 1.3? I got a very small sample from Seymour but all other manufacturers' samples are larger, I am trying to see how screen interfaces with the room walls/ceiling and on the 5"x5" sample it is a bit small to see it.

Thanks.
Samples come direct from Seymour. Give me a call and we can see what can be worked out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have tested MB vs. AV 1.3 and difference in the viewing angles and color shift is night and day. Be aware that only AV1.3 has a wider viewing cone of all 3. 1.2 and 2.1 are both what I would call normal ambient light-rejecting screens while 1.3 is unusual. AccucalHD study says that 1.3 is color accurate, I cannot attest to that scientifically as I do not measure with the colorimeter but to my eyes, I see blue shift with AV1.3, but nothing that cannot be calibrated out. On MB color shift was too much. To me Stewart FHG4 and MB looked very similar, while AV1.3 was superior to both of them. Do keep in mind my AV1.3 sample is a smaller one. All other samples I have are 8x12 and 12x12 inches. Size of samples limits room interactions and you cannot really assess how room impacts the screen, especially with ambient light screens. In my opinion even 12"x12" is too small for ambient light screen samples but then I understand that there is cost to the manufacturer to ship bigger samples too. I have been looking at 7 samples on the wall for 2 months now and some screens $2500+ in price, not a chump change by any standards. Worst part you cannot return these screens once you get them home, unless you buy Elite on Amazon, but none of the Elite ambient light screens passed my tests. At the end of the day this is my money and I will need to live with this screen. If I only could find Seymour AV locally that would be golden.

The Matinee Black seems to have limited viewing angle. The Ambient Visionaire has a better viewing angle and more options with 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1 gain.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
...I have been looking at 7 samples on the wall for 2 months now and some screens $2500+ in price, not a chump change by any standards. Worst part you cannot return these screens once you get them home, unless you buy Elite on Amazon, but none of the Elite ambient light screens passed my tests. At the end of the day this is my money and I will need to live with this screen. If I only could find Seymour AV locally that would be golden.
I've got a bunch of screen samples as well. My favorites so far are the DNP .8 and the DNP 2.3, but I'm looking for something in the 1.2-1.4 gain range for an ambient light screen. I wish DNP had one. However, so far, my favorite in that gain range is the Elite Screens Darkstar. You mentioned that none of the Elite screens passed your tests. Have you tested the Darkstar? If so, I'm curious to discuss your findings.

I'm currently waiting for Mike, from AVS, to send me the Ambient-Visionaire samples. Hopefully, I will see them soon...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
31,219 Posts
I've got a bunch of screen samples as well. My favorites so far are the DNP .8 and the DNP 2.3, but I'm looking for something in the 1.2-1.4 gain range for an ambient light screen. I wish DNP had one. However, so far, my favorite in that gain range is the Elite Screens Darkstar. You mentioned that none of the Elite screens passed your tests. Have you tested the Darkstar? If so, I'm curious to discuss your findings.

I'm currently waiting for Mike, from AVS, to send me the Ambient-Visionaire samples. Hopefully, I will see them soon...

Thanks,
Dave
You should have received them by now. I am checking on them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have tested MB vs. AV 1.3 and difference in the viewing angles and color shift is night and day. Be aware that only AV1.3 has a wider viewing cone of all 3. 1.2 and 2.1 are both what I would call normal ambient light-rejecting screens while 1.3 is unusual. AccucalHD study says that 1.3 is color accurate, I cannot attest to that scientifically as I do not measure with the colorimeter but to my eyes, I see blue shift with AV1.3, but nothing that cannot be calibrated out. On MB color shift was too much. To me Stewart FHG4 and MB looked very similar, while AV1.3 was superior to both of them....

Thanks for the insight, very helpful. Don't think I'll get the MB. Have you compared the AV1.3 to DNP's screen?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts