AVS Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thank you for the very useful post. It clarifies it. My JVC's lens center sits 28" from floor on a table. Distance from PJ's lens to screen is 141". Looks like then Darkstar will not work, because lower end of the 106" 16:9 screen will be approximately 12"-14" from the floor? Is my math correct?
Great question - I would check with the Elite Screens folks and confirm one way or another. The 12"-14" from the floor seems really low. My current TV is 21"-22" from the floor, and my feet are in the way, if I put them up. I'm thinking of 24"-28" from the floor for my screen.

Dave

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am sitting quite close to the screen I am in the condo so ceilings are not high. I can mount 16" from the floor max. Trying to be equidistant from ceiling and floor. I pinged Elite a couple days back but no answer so far, they are known to be slow with response so I will wait.

Great question - I would check with the Elite Screens folks and confirm one way or another. The 12"-14" from the floor seems really low. My current TV is 21"-22" from the floor, and my feet are in the way, if I put them up. I'm thinking of 24"-28" from the floor for my screen.

Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
It will still have an amped-up, reflective look to it, as it is a positive gain screen and not a Lambertian/scatter type screen. This reflectivity is what Jeff is referring to. The Ambient-Visionaire eliminates individual sparkles because each pixel has enough reflective elements to guarantee that each pixel has to respond in the same manner as the next. In a 1080p screen, it can have over 10,000 reflectors per pixel. Even though they are stacked, doped with carbon and dithered at angle, there is more than enough coverage to guarantee uniformity. By using a more efficient method of ambient filtration, the screen can be less aggressive with reduced artifacts.

Cheers,
Chris
Would this screen look decent at a 1.6 throw? Do you have any dealers in China?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Black Matinee
Non-AT, for light color rooms with severe ambient light
36 degree viewing angle, 1.9xW minimum projector distance
6500K D65 dark gray, 1.4 gain
No minimum seating distance, 4K video rated
Grommet and o-ring installation

What was recommended to me....
Isn't that a very narrow viewing cone compared to Black Diamond?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Would this screen look decent at a 1.6 throw? Do you have any dealers in China?
The Ambient-Visionaire 1.3 is designed for shorter throw ratios like that, although any gain screen will have a more uniform response at longer throw ratios.

To locate distributors and get dealers in your area, please visit (the where to buy part) http://www.screenexcellence.com

Cheers,
Chris

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Every alr thread I research, Im seeing the same members waiting for a wide cone, high contrast alr grail to drop. And it never happens. Last year it was the AV screens from Seymour. This year it's Microlite.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Can anyone recommend, for a screen around 2.2 gain or higher, what is best, the Seymour Ambient Visionaire 2.1, or something else?

It says it's 2.1, but I don't know what the actual gain is. Other choices I'm aware of are Severtson Stellar White 2.2, Stewart 5D which is 2.2 or 2.3 I think, StrongMDI Northview White 2.2 and 2.5, and Harkness Perlux HiWhite 2.2 or PWT+ 2.0.

I don't need ambient light rejection, but it's a nice bonus if the screen that comes with it is also better than the competition in a batcave as well. I am looking for the best one for a batcave, but it's possible the Seymour is the best one for that too, so that's why Im asking.

Every alr thread I research, Im seeing the same members waiting for a wide cone, high contrast alr grail to drop. And it never happens. Last year it was the AV screens from Seymour. This year it's Microlite.
Why doesn't the Seymour Ambient Visionaire qualify? Is it missing the wide cone, or the high contrast, or what? I thought it had both, relatively speaking...

61 - 69 of 69 Posts