AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I'm looking for objective or subjective data which supports the UF fabric or Spandex milliskin fabric white over silver. Which offers the best PQ with a Sony VPL-40WES at 14 feet in dark room on 120" wide 16 x 9 screen?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As the title suggests, I'm looking for objective or subjective data which supports the UF fabric or Spandex milliskin fabric white over silver. Which offers the best PQ with a Sony VPL-40WES at 14 feet in dark room on 120" wide 16 x 9 screen?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.
At that size screen and throw distance you are only getting about 12 fl with either one. Of the two fabrics the milliskin spandex has the finer weave so you won't see moire if you decide to sit closer than 10 feet. You didn't specify the seating distance to the screen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I will be sitting 12 feet from the screen. From what I have gathered at Projector Central, I'll have to put the projector about 14' back to fill this screen. How do I calculate how many yards of milliskin I need per layer?

Is 12fl no good? Am I going too big for sitting 12 feet back? I didn't think so...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Interesting. I will be sitting 12 feet from the screen. From what I have gathered at Projector Central, I'll have to put the projector about 14' back to fill this screen. How do I calculate how many yards of milliskin I need per layer?

Is 12fl no good? Am I going too big for sitting 12 feet back? I didn't think so...
A yard of spandex is 60" wide by 36" per yard, and a 120" screen is 107" wide x 59" tall so 3 yards of each color spandex is what you need.

12' feet is not too close for most people. I sit 11' from mine and wish the screen were larger.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's about 1/3 the cost of UF. If the quality of the 2 layered milliskin spandex is equal or better, sounds like a no-brainer.

How wide would you go at a 12 foot viewing distance? I have the wall space! I'm just concerned about losing brightness.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's about 1/3 the cost of UF. If the quality of the 2 layered milliskin spandex is equal or better, sounds like a no-brainer.

How wide would you go at a 12 foot viewing distance? I have the wall space! I'm just concerned about losing brightness.
I sit about 12' from my spandex screen, which is 120" diagonal (111"x 47") but my screen is 2.35:1. Usually we strive for 15 fl or more brightness, but if you have total light control and always want to watch in the dark 12 fl would be OK. The only ways to improve the brightness with your conditions would be to mount the projector at or near the minimum throw distance for the size of the image you want, reduce the image size to more concentrate the light output of the projector or increase the gain of the screen. If you have light control two layers of white milliskin spandex will improve the gain slightly.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where does the 12fl calculation come into play? Projector Central quotes 15fl at a 14' throw. I'm assuming the white milliskin on the light silver milliskin is a 1.0 gain?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
In a dark room, using a high contrast projector with a screen-size that's limiting ftL, going with white over white milliskin might be the better (slightly brighter) choice.
Even white on white is below 1.0gain.

The Sony makes 1100/1400/1700lumens with full-lamp (reference/cinema/gaming) and 750/950/1150lumens with eco-lamp (cinema and reference are accurate while gaming uses a cooler white-balance)..the hw40 doesn't drop much brightness from zooming and both full/eco lamp modes are very quiet.

A 120"-2.39:1 screen will divide those lumens by 50ft-square and a 120"-16:9 screen by 43ft-square at 1.0gain, which gives (cinema+full) 28/33ftL at 120" 2.39/16:9 or (cinema+eco) 19/22ftL at 120" 2.39/16:9. It's safer to assume the spandex is around 0.7gain which brings those down to 20/23ftL (cinema full) or 13/15ftL (cinema eco).

The quiet fans and large brightness difference between eco and full allow the Sony to start at eco and (after several hundred hours) keep brightness high by simply switching to full lamp once if you start to feel like the picture needs it. A dark-colored, dark room will also go a long ways for allowing a dimmer image to appear brighter and bolder than the ftL might suggest. Many large theatres stretch lamp-hours until brightness is down to 12ftL, and you'll be well above that for practically the entire life of your lamp while being able to use a room with less light (theatres have fire and trip safety mandates) and a spandex screen will show less artifacts than a perforated or MFG weaved screen.

If you fear that you may be more of a brightness enthusiast, is there any possibility of moving the seating closer (8 or 10ft away) and dropping down to an 8ft-wide screen?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Where does the 12fl calculation come into play? Projector Central quotes 15fl at a 14' throw. I'm assuming the white milliskin on the light silver milliskin is a 1.0 gain?
I believe that white over silver spandex is about 0.8 gain and white over white is around 0.85 or 0.9 gain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new to the DIY projection screen area.

Is the screen made out of Spandex allowing the audio to pass through? I'm consider making my own screen and would like it to be able to pass audio.

Thanks in Advance.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,177 Posts
I am new to the DIY projection screen area.

Is the screen made out of Spandex allowing the audio to pass through? I'm consider making my own screen and would like it to be able to pass audio.

Thanks in Advance.
Yes,

And it does it with excellence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts