AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am receiving zero digital stations. Anyone having similar problems? It is 5:00 pm right now. Just want to make sure it isnt just me.

Nayan

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Confirmed that something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
The following OTA DTV channels in SFBA are all down.

4.1 (57)

45.1 (45.1)

7.1 (24.1)

26.1 (26.1)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well at 6:26 ABC and KQED came back on . I believe all of the DT's are avaiable now.

Wonder what happened?

Vince:)

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
4.1 (57.1) and 45.1 are still down. KQED was always working for me. I can confirm ONLY 7.1 (24.1) came back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not getting 52 (36-1), 57 (4-1), and 45 (45-1). Can anyone confirm these as I have re-aimed my antenna and didnt realize that the stations were down.

Thanks,

Nayan

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Someone was working on the lower digital transmitters yesterday. When that happens all the digital transmitters are disabled or the workers would be fired by the RF energy. All, almost all, digitals where back up by 6:00PM last night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup something happened. The only stations I got yesterday were 2.1 (really clear) 11.1, 36.1, and sometimes 7.1. KRON (4.1) and KPIX (5.1) had dropped off the planet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Below is the response I got from CBS in San Francisco to an e-mail I sent them, (below that) . I thought you guys might be interested.

Dear Mr. Chapman,

Your message has been passed to me regarding your HDTV reception problems. I am very sorry,

but you will not be able to receive KPIX-DT (Channel 29), or any of the other HDTV station broadcasts

unless you have a clear path to our transmitter site on Mt. Sutro, in San Francisco. Given your location

in Pleasanton, I would find that unlikely as you are on the wrong side of the Dublin grade.

Having said that, can you receive KPIX channel 5 off air in your home? IF you can receive channel 5

at your home now, you MAY be able to receive our HDTV signal as well, if you're lucky. Sometimes

your terrain may help with a "hole" in the hills allowing reception.

As you may or may not be aware, digital TV reception is very different from analog reception. With

digital, you will either see or not see a station. There is no such thing as a ghosty or snowy picture.

Once the digital receiver receives a signal above a threshold, the picture will pop up, full ,bright and

completely clear.

DirecTV offers several premium channels in HD, but they do not carry us yet in full HD. What they do

is take our standard TV video and audio, and upconvert it to the higher HD digital standard. This would

result in the picture not really displaying the sharpness and resolution of true HD. This signal may not

be available yet; I believe they are still performing tests on it.

ATT cable doesn't carry any HDTV channels on any cable systems here in the Bay Area, to my knowledge.

I sure hope that they start carrying HD channels soon, but the problem is lack of available space to

squeeze these onto the existing cable line.

For what it's worth, I am in the same boat with regards to HDTV reception, as I live in Pleasant Hill, and

am behind the same hills that are preventing you from seeing our signal. I would like to invest in a

HDTV receiver, but I am holding off that purchase until I have a way to get our HD signal into our home.

Several local broadcasters have discussed the possibility of placing repeaters of the HD signal on

mountain tops to solve this problem, but the cost is substantial, and upkeep would be expensive.

My personal thought is that they will come through with a solution, though, if they want to keep the

HD/digital ball rolling.

I hope this info has helped you out some...it is the "straight scoop" from our engineering dept.

Good Luck,

Rich Viglienzoni

Senior Technician

KPIX/KBHK-TV

855 Battery St.

San Francisco, CA 94111

Dear CBS,

I have had an High Definition capable Mitsubishi 55" rear-projection TV for over a year now here in Pleasanton. I'm growingly desperate to receive yours and other networks HDTV programming. I'm not sure how I can do that. I understand Direct TV offers your broadcast here but not in HD. Same with local available cable providers. Lastly, over the air, I'm hearing I can't get your HD signal because I am blocked by the hills I'm up against. All of this is unconfirmed information. Is your HD programming available in any form yet here in Pleasanton? I sure would appreciate the straight scoop.

Thank you ahead of time for any help you might provide.

David

·
Registered
105 Posts
My yesterdays post here seems to hv disappeared. Anyway I seemed to be having problems today too. I couldnt receive any of the sutro channels. finally got a lock on KTVU but it kept fading. So I went to Radio Shack and got a VU-75XR antenna. Its still in the attic and has replaced the double bowtie and now I get all digital channels at full strength ! Lets see if its any better tomorrow during the daytime.

- Nikhil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.