AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the channels change for receiving HDTV broadcasts over the air (OTA) in the San Francisco Bay Area? I used to get several stations from Sunnyvale, with my antenna pointed at San Francisco. I turned it on yesterday and had nothing. Did a station scan and a few (not all) popped back up. Not good just before the Super Bowl party.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i don't think any channels have changed in the SF bay area.

your problem is probably caused by the tv repeater tower in south bay. it's that large cement tower on a ridge in south san jose. it re-xmits most signals from SF-Oak-SJ with very strong sigs. even ants aimed north are affected.

the problem is they shut it off during the days on weekdays and sometimes on weekends and sometimes whenever they feel like it. it really stinks that they do that.

the best time to scan for channels is weeknights after 6pm. although i would think tomorrow around or before 3pm would be a good time too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, in Mountain View, I haven't been able to get any of the SF stations today. I was getting all of the digital stations from Sutro yesterday, but today they all seem to be dead. This is really annoying.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Does anyone know where the best place is to get an antenna in SF? I wne to the antenna.org sight and it says that I need a medium directional antenna wiht a preamp. Is there any particular brand that is better than another?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any chance that something IS going on with the SF transmitter? I've only had my HD DirecTv receiver (Samsung SIR-TS160) since Monday. Monday through Thursday or so, everything was fine. I noticed last night that I have no HD reception at all, and this is from a house in the Oakland hills with Sutro tower as part of the view. Lots of attempts to re-scan and whatever, without any success.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sutro is turned off during the day Mon-Sat. But can remain on during the day if the weather is bad (like yesterday).

Fizbin, last night, reception was fine so I don't why you didn't have any channels.

DenVogel, maybe your antenna alignment has been moved due to wind. It only takes a few degrees out and no signal. Remember, digital signals are much more susecptible to misalignment issues.

·
Registered
360 Posts
kartracer,

Thanks for the update. Any semi-official info (or place to surf for same) on what time of day that Sutro's HD is on or off? Also, this may just be an HD-newbie lame question, but what does weather have to do with it?

Thanks . . .

·
Registered
360 Posts
kartracer,

Never mind. I came across numerous hits that indicate that seismic upgrade work is essentially shutting down Sutro HD 7am-5:30pm Mon-Sat. This gets me out of troubleshooting mode for now. Thanks again for getting me on track.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was wondering if you guys know about the HD group on Yahoo specifically for the bay area? Here's the link: HDTV-in-SFbay

You can follow by web or email.

fizbin, glad I could be of help.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
For you newbies looking for stations, I have a list of all the digital stations that are on the air in Northern California on my web site. The list includes transmitter channel, virtual channel, call letters, network, city of license, location of transmitter and lots more. Check it out at: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

Larry

San Francisco

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kartracer
Sutro is turned off during the day Mon-Sat. But can remain on during the day if the weather is bad (like yesterday).

Fizbin, last night, reception was fine so I don't why you didn't have any channels.

DenVogel, maybe your antenna alignment has been moved due to wind. It only takes a few degrees out and no signal. Remember, digital signals are much more susecptible to misalignment issues.
Ah.. It must have been the tower being offline. My channels came back in the after hours. Thanks. I was panicking with the Super Bowl party on the way. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.