AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for all the great advice on this site! We're setting up a new screen/PJ room and I've read for weeks on our best options but still would appreciate any comments. At our previous house we had a dedicated basement room with no ambient light, a JVC RS2 that I bought refurbished from AVS and I made a WA DW 122" screen. We thought it was fantastic at the time, but sold everything with the house. We've bought a home built in the 50's with a crazy rec room (see pic) that we're going to use for the theater and I had planned on making the DW screen again, but after reading here about the paint options it sounds like maybe we can do better. MM's comments about getting a picture to rival plasmas sounds almost too good to believe. The DW screen definitely washed out with even a small lamp on. We'll have a fair amount of ambient light in this room from windows, and I actually prefer a little when watching college football during the day so as not to feel totally isolated from the outside world, but for movies we will control with black out. Our budget for the PJ is around 1200, so after reading here it sounds like we'll go with the mits HC4000 as I prefer DLP. Throw is 17'. Will SF V2 3.0 be our our best option? I have an airless sprayer but never used HVLP but will pick up one of the "no names" if that's a better option. If I can find the Sintra local I'm going to use that for a 122" screen with 2 1/4" mdf trimmed in velvet. 29615 is our zip and it looks like there's a Piedmont Plastics local so I'll try them first. Our other issues are the screen will be mounted above the fireplace and my wife "would like" for me at times to take it down because it will overhang ~8" wider than the stone fireplace, which is 8' wide. I considered making the screen to match, but the room is 26' x 26' and it just felt too small. I actually would prefer it larger but the height of the FP opening is 46" so the screen would just get too high. So to be able to move the screen occasionally should I also frame it in 1 X 6 or is the 6mm Sintra rigid enough? Thanks again for all the good work and service you guys provide!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
I like this set up's potential to deliver performance totally unexpected by the TS.

First......There are a few red flags here.

1. The HC4000 is only 1300 lumens

2. You want to place it at a disadvantaged distance that further restricts the available lumens.

3 The room has considerable ambient light...as in "a lot" and so being requires that you carefully match up your Screen / Projector needs.

OK...so what to do?

Simple really.

Dump the HC4000.

That's what I said!

It's simply not up to the task at hand.

DLP? Consider combining the assets of having a uber-dark 110" SF v2.1 5.0 with the 3000 lumen horsepower of a Optoma TH1020

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Or..............play a little conservative and go with a Optoma HD2200

https://powersellernyc.com/product/v...or--27966.html

Both have enough lumens to make for a ridiculous comparison to the HC4000

My favorite is the HD1020 though. With that set up you'd have 68 fls at 14' onto 110" (96" x 54") screen. Plasma? Ha. More like a 9' diagonal Edge Lit LED/LCD. With the Mits? At 110" and a 14' throw you suffer with just 15 fls.

Well ok then.... it'll look like a 110" diagonal Plasma too, only you can afford this Lady.

Really though, if you want anything even close to the performance I know you do....you have to "totally" rethink your position. Making all the right choices you can indeed stay on budget....but you cannot afford to make any mistakes in that room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you MM! Well I'll rethink the PJ then. I guess I'm hoping for the best PQ with "a lot" of ambient light without compromising too much when it's low for movies. Would the TH1020 not be too bright with controlled lighting for movies at night?? Seems like 68 fls might burn my eyes out
I can place the PJ closer at around 14' if need be and have a little wiggle on the budget - would you consider the BenQ W1200 or are you fond of the Optomas? Or should I even consider LCD and the 8350? I stated the DLP cause I've always thought it smoother but we have no place to demo in my town. They do have the Sintra local so thanks for that!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
If your open to suggestions, much is possible. And any gross adjustment to your budget won't be necessary.

Yes...you need more lumens than most anyone would if you want "Direct View Monitor" image quality in high ambient light. (...the Screen itself is not an issue, we have your back on that...)

In a darkened room setting, you can drop down into economy lamp output, and even have a specially calibrated adjustment saved for such instances. One can always adjust "downward" in brightness, either by use of on-board adjustments, Lens Filters, or a combo of both.

What you cannot do is to "Grow" more Lumens if they are not there in the first place.

Fondness for any particular PJ is not really something I ever take into account (...although I do like a high performance -to- Cost ratio...) as much as matching up the best possible PJ to a Screen and the environment.

Achieving a balance between everything is what delivers an exceptional viewing experience. With today's 1080p units, excellent content, and higher performance Screen surfaces, the IQ differences between most PJs are just not enough to ever warrant making PJ performance concessions over a $200-500.00 price point when making the right decision achieves something truly incredible in an adverse viewing situation.

Here's a good example:

A 184" diagonal SF v1 5.0 "Painted on Drywall" Screen

.....and a Panasonic PT-5500 2-lamp PJ (5000 lumens) using just 1 Bulb (2500 lumens) and hanging up at 35' high amidst multiple 2000 watt Metal halide fixtures.

I spec'd out the 5500 not wanting to wind up with a dim image on a SF v1 5.0 screen of that size. Luckily, and as is often the case, the Screen itself came through by delivering me more than adequate gain while also helping to reject the adverse influence of the surrounding illumination. Seems I could've slipped in a PJ with 3000 lumens that only cost $3K instead of that $7k Dude. Well...even I gotta learn by doin'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wide open to suggestions... the only fixed variables as of now are my wife will probably never allow me to darken the ceiling, I'd like a 122" diagonal, and a PJ budget of around 1200, (...although I do like a high performance -to- Cost ratio...) too and if I can get a refurb (like the W1100) for a few hundred less then will do that. The only resources we have to decide on a PJ are online opinions of others, so suggest away! I'll focus on the higher lumens, but is that the main factor, or does the PJ contrast have to figure in or will the screen compensate?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Budget Buster solution:

BenQ W6000 $1799.00

DLP

2500 lumens

50K:1 CR (...that's "DLP CR" mind you...)

H&V Lens Shift (...absolutely necessary option...)

122" screen w/15' Throw = 27 ft lambert

Budget choice:

Epson 8350

LCD

2000 Lumen

50K:1 CR (...the SF 3.0 can help that along...)

H&V Lens Shift (...naturally...)

122" screen w/12.3'' Throw = 26 ft lambert

>

But one must remember these mitigating factoids.

A. You have an almost obscene amount of ambient light potential.

B. Your making noises about having a "removable" screen (horrible noises at that)

C. You really want too big a screen for the area where it will go.

What would I do? Iffin' it wer me?

I'd brake down a bit into 110". Keep the Screen where it belongs...avoid all that hassle you seem to have no clue as that awaits you. 110" will fit right in there...and ya gotta know that 110" looking mighty bright and cosmetically oriented toward pleasing the Little Woman will spell "Warm & Fuzzy" out in big letters.

Besides...look at the numbers.

8350 hittin' on 110" diagonal w/11' Throw = 32 foot lambert. (...The BenQ @ 110" and 13.3" would garner 41 fl ...)

In both the Short and the Long run, off-the-screen brightness is what will determine just how happy you'll be. Well....that, and how cheaply you got there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, heck... my gut tells me you're right about the 110" - especially with it already being raised over the fireplace. I'll actually have to go down to 106" cause the stone is 96" W, or use a 1" pine stop or other trim for the velvet. I can make the 11' throw work.

The BenQ sure is tempting, but I reckon we'll try the 8350 first and see if it's enough on a SF 4.0 or 5.0. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and I'll get some screenshots up soon...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.