AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in building/buying two SFF PCs (Shuttle, or equivalent) for use as client PCs in a server-based network. Their sole functions will be for network playback of DVDs and music and for DScaler processing of svideo input from separate satellite receivers.

Therefore, I assume they will need decent AGP video cards, FlyVideo2000 (or similar) svideo capture cards, and enough processor power to handle DScaler processing.

On-board SPDIF audio should be sufficient for both and small hard drives are also sufficient (OS and apps only). Both should also have a DVD-ROM drive for local playback of disks.

Both PCs will output to LCD monitors - one to a 19" 4x3 and the other to a 16x9 LCD (as yet, undetermined). Both monitors will accept DVI inputs, so a video card with DVI out would be desirable.

Can anyone help me locate or spec such a machine? Is my $500 budget realistic? Can I get by with a PIII machine? (FWIW, I used to run DScaler just fine on a PIII 1 GHz box).

Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seems very doable to me. Only thing I am not sure of is what type of CPU it takes to run DScaler.

For example:

Micro ATX case, Antec Minuet for example, $59 at yesmicro.com

Add Antec 40mm fan, $6 at yesmicro.com

Shipping on these two items, $6 UPS ground

Motherboard, Asus P4R800-VM, $80 at newegg.com, free shipping

(includes built in LAN, SPDIF RCA at back panel, Radeon 9100 IGP saving you from having to buy inexpensive Radeon graphics card)

Add Asus AV/S bracket if you need S-Video or RCA composite out, $15 at newegg.com, free shipping

Silver Sony 16x DVD Rom, $35 at newegg.com, free shipping

Retail Celeron 2.4 GHz Northwood core with fan, $71 at newegg.com, free shipping

(good enough for client box??? don't know about DScaler needs)

Total $278

Add your hard drive (I've seen 40GB for as low as $20-30 with some of the deals lately), add memory (512MB on sale for $50, maybe even less) and add your operating system, and you are still under $500.

And if you don't like the Minuet, pick another similar case.

Oh, and add in a 3 1/2" LCD for the floppy bay for $70 shipped, and I think you have a pretty smart looking client.

How, do I know all this? I'm about to build it, but going to wait and see if the MSI RS3M board shows up which uses the same chipset but adds 1394 on the MB.

What will this look like, you ask -- something like this:

http://www.dgtlpics.com/minuet_angle_viewV2.JPG

And if you would prefer a black case, you can do the same type of configuration using the Super Flower SF-3 case as shown below:

http://www.dgtlpics.com/SuperFlowerSF-3v2.JPG

Charlie

P.S. Thanks to my wife for the Photoshop composite shots she did so I could decide which case I liked better.

P.P.S. Because these are both slim cases, you are limited to low profile cards -- there are no cards in the above configuration, but you will need to mod the cases blank brackets to accept any "brackets" you hook to the motherboard, such as the AV/S bracket for TV-Out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just reread about you wanting DVI. Skip the AV/S bracket and spend $35 for low profile Radeon 7500 video card, or $50 for low profile Radeon 9200SE graphics card. Still under $500.

Also saw you want FlyVideo card (still kind of missing why you need this on client machines, but thats just cause I don't know a lot about what it adds (as opposed to satellite output going straight to your LCD TVs)), so this may push you to non slim case so you can have full size cards. There are still several out there in the same $60 or less range.

Anyway, hope I gave you some ideas ;)

Charlie

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice Configuration Charlie. I like the silver one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.