AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the most recent SGTH and gracing the cover was the new Sony NS999ES. I just received mine and have been playing with at length.

First qualifier, I am using it only as a five and two channel SACD player. I will not comment on the video section till I manage to get a projector set up in the home theater.

What surprised me most about the review was the general lack of ANY useful information about the Sony. Where is all the good info about internal chips, Mpeg decoders, de-interlacing algorithms and other stuff which I relish to read about in Sterophile (the original).

JB compares the unit favorably with the 9000ES but it is not a slam dunk. Unless someone wants the multi-channel SACD feature I see no reason to unload a 9000ES for the 999ES. Since I would not be purchasing a 9000ES I am much more interested in how the Sony compares to Pioneer, Toshiba and Panionic players. No comparisons are made.

Except for general information I am getting no more information than I might have gotten from the venerable Stereo Review magazine.

SGTH is about to publish itself out of relevance. Hopefully the Perfect Vision or WideScreen will have more information but this low-ball publishing is very disappointing.

I now see how they offer subscriptions for less than twenty dollars per year.

Mike S

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike. Please keep us posted of any other reviews you may find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.