AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think so. It is a multi-player only game with no single player experience. Its almost the same as Gears of War except no campaign mode.

Would you pay $60(plus tax) for an online only experience for a franchise that was basically raped and gutted and had a couple of gimmicks added (teleporting,invisibility, magic) that have not been used in a multiplayer type environment before?

And BTW the PC version will be $50 (vista only though) and what is Shane Kims' response? From Kotaku.com it can be summed up to "we can charge whatever we want".

It doesnt make sense. Yet it looks like Microsoft Game Studios (publisher) has decided that a lot of people are willing to pay $60 for the 360 experience. I say we show them they're wrong by voting with our wallets. That's where they'll hurt the most. Anyways Halo 3 Beta will be well underway and Forza 2 should be out by then, so I say keep busy with other games and let MS know we shouldn't be fleeced of our money./end griping

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I'm amazed they are charging $59.99 for this. Man, are they in for a sales dissapointment. $39.99 would have been a very good price for this. It would have been a pretty good seller, but at $59.99, I can see a ton of these collecting dust on store shelves.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I've never understood why every game (except table tennis) is $59 anyways.

I think as a publisher.. part of your game development should focus on what price should your software sell best at. You dont want to underprice your product.. but you damn sure dont want to OVER price it.

Thats one of the reasons I love the fact the games on live are priced differently using the points system. Bankshot billiards damn sure isnt worth $15.. but Double Dragon with update features is worth alot more than $5 bucks in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/0

I'm amazed they are charging $59.99 for this. Man, are they in for a sales dissapointment. $39.99 would have been a very good price for this. It would have been a pretty good seller, but at $59.99, I can see a ton of these collecting dust on store shelves.

Yup! $40 would've been better and I may have bought it for that price. But to think that on top of 360 owners already paying about $50 a year for Live, then another $20 extra (I'm going with your $40 price) for a solely online multiplayer game! I hope everyone that buys this knows that they will be basically bending over for Shane Kim (head of Microsoft Game Studios). Its not right.

Xbox Live and games that use the service should be a proud flag that we as 360 owners can wave around and show them other guys (sony & nintendo) how to do an online service, yet it comes down to Microsoft as a whole, looking like a bunch of jackass's in that they "charge as much as they want" without looking at there pricing structure and saying "damn, we cant sell this at 60, but if we drop the price to at least 40, we can sell the games new gimmicks to a much wider audience, therefore selling more copies and recupping most if not all of our investment, then we can make a real Shadowrun RPG" /end rant

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree that $60+ tax is as high as gas prices these days, but you never know.

It could be worth every penny.

isn't this game targeted at pro 1st person shooter fans?

personally I would buy it, if it looked and played great,

and included the SNES version

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/0

I've never understood why every game (except table tennis) is $59 anyways.

I think as a publisher.. part of your game development should focus on what price should your software sell best at. You dont want to underprice your product.. but you damn sure dont want to OVER price it.

Thats one of the reasons I love the fact the games on live are priced differently using the points system. Bankshot billiards damn sure isnt worth $15.. but Double Dragon with update features is worth alot more than $5 bucks in my opinion.

Yes, game development cost should be a big factor when determining the final price. Not just basically slapping on a $60 tag on it "cause thats what everything else is going for".

I mean lets look at another game: Viva Pinata. Microsoft seems like they wanted a Pokemon type deal what-with a TV show, child marketing, game, (prob. wouldnt doubt they have a movie deal in the works), yet when it was released it came out for $50 if I remember. That games biggest gimmick was that you could send a receive pinatas with your friends, help out in their garden, buy junk, basically it focused on having the console online.

What lets you play any game on your 360 online? Why its Xbox Live! Of course! So now people who never had a console and have a kid of that age need to buy this game. $50 game. $399 system. $50 online yearly fee. $10-$20 in stupid pinata hats download (read:horse armor). And that buys you a game that your kids will play for 1-2 weekends and get bored and go back and play their Pokemon. This was a long example, but what I'm trying to say is that MS (or whichever publisher) is(are) not properly charging for their content.

And yes it is a business, but also they need us so why are they 'raping' us? How many times will the pet owner let the dog they feed bite the hand that feeds it?

Answer: Not long

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cell /forum/post/0

I agree that $60+ tax is as high as gas prices these days, but you never know.

It could be worth every penny.

isn't this game targeted at pro 1st person shooter fans?

personally I would buy it, if it looked and played great,

and included the SNES version

All the pro 1st person shooter fans are on the PCs! Everyone know that!

But seriously do you say oh my gasoline is 3.50 (in California
) but you never know it could be better than last weeks tank of gas at 3.25 (hooray for Chevron), what the heck could they be putting in there that makes it that much more valuable? Gold? Butterflies? Maybe the junk cures cancer? Nope. Its the same **** that gets you from point A to B. The same stuff that sells a lot cheaper anywhere but here (CA).

Go look any retail store and look for shooters on the PC. What are those priced at? A good portion of them are under $30. And even if a new game comes out and is priced higher (~$50?) you can bet that the price will come down in a month or less. Why isnt that formula applied to all consoles (while I'm at it). If a game doesnt sell well, then damnit, drop the price. Then that publisher will hopefully have learned and the next game of theirs will be priced respectively.

UGHH! Gotta go to the gym. This just about pissed me off! /end

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 /forum/post/0

If I get the PC version and play with my 360 gametag, will I get achievements?

? I would think so, but not sure.

BTW for all you 360 players, multi-player is free for PC Live Silver members. The one limitation is that it will be only PC to PC, but how many PC gamers would be willing to pay $50 a year just to play Shadowrun against a 360 player? Well, maybe the people that like to 'tea-bag' would, but any sane players? I don't really think so. Oh yeah, and you must have Vista on your PC. So have you upgraded yet? Downloaded from **********? I'd go that second route and give Microsoft what they've been giving us 360 owners since Nov. 05. The Shaft! /"shut yo' mouth"

On the PC to PC free multi-player note why can't Silver 360 members play 360 to 360 for free? Yes Shane you already said "because we can", but why is that?

Cue: The O'Jays "For The Love of Money"

·
Registered
484 Posts
:tronn:

My analogy of gas = $

If I put the gas into a z06 vette over a Geo metro, Ill get my moneys worth.

I was a PRO CS/Quake player, and am interested how this game turns out.

is that ok with you?

We have no idea yet if shadowrun 360 is worth it or not so put a sock in it.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cell /forum/post/0

My analogy of gas = $

If I put the gas into a z06 vette over a Geo metro, Ill get my moneys worth.

I was a PRO CS/Quake player, and am interested how this game turns out.

is that ok with you?

We have no idea yet if shadowrun 360 is worth it or not so put a sock in it.

"No I cant stop yelling, thats the way I talk!" -Samuel Adams beer

With the gas analogy, yes you will get your moneys worth, but step back a little and see that its the same stuff you put in there a week or two ago so why is it higher? Do the rules of Demand and Supply not apply to the oil companies? This was my point of view. The point of saving money.

If you were a pro PC player then you'd probably by now also now that the PC Shadowrun version will have the controls basically "gimped". The PC is far too accurate for any console player to have a chance against, so what did MS do? Gimp' it! Less accurate aiming, slower overall game speed, just a PC shooter for Dummies type game. Why even bother with a lesser experience than what can be had on the PC for way cheaper?

And yes its OK with me that you are willing to see how the game turns out. A demo was mentioned a little while earlier. Well I too will download if one is avail. but why would a demo be avail. if its a multi-player only game? Doesnt make sense. Seems they want you to blind buy it.

Seriously dont take any offense to what I say. Thanks for reading my post. Enjoyed your comments. I even replied to your comments. Let all voices both be heard to show our opinions to all others out there interested.

I for one think this game is a crock of $hit. There. Now your turn.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i'd really like to give it a try, but not at $60 and even after 1 mil sales, i doubt it'll be a platinum hit.

whats up with that anyway?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tronn, I agree.

Its going to take one hell of a game for me to fork out $60+ for a console shooter.

GOW being the exception, I have my hopes up that this game helps get Keyb+mouse support for 360 owners to keep competitive with vista players. doubt it but here's to wishfull thinking.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Ok, 60 bucks a little high, but think about this: we used to pay 50 for regular nintendo games! This game is online exclusive, meaning there will be tons of work in key areas such as gameplay and graphics. It also means that it has UNLIMITED replay value. I'll buy this happily and I'll buy Forza 2 (another game people are shredding unfairly).

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There have been quite a few games released at $49.99 and $39.99. I guess here MS thinks there will be a market at $59.99 based on how popular online shooters are. Personally I think this is going to get marked down FAST.

I have said in the PS porum I have no problem with an online only game. After seeing the videos and previews of Warhawk I have no problems paying $60 for an online only game... but Shadowrun does not seem to have enough content for $60 IMHO.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn /forum/post/0

I for one think this game is a crock of $hit. There. Now your turn.

Whatever.

All I know is that wherever you go on the 'net, even the most jaded and skeptical Shadowrun hardcore tried the beta and found it incredibly fun to play. The editorial teams of PC Gamer and GFW took it for a test drive and came back saying that they could've played the two levels forever and ever, it was that addictive. OXM had similarly fond remarks, that it went beyond their expectations.

In light of all the positive word-of-mouth, forgive me if I say you just sound like another 'net malcontent.

·
Registered
108 Posts
no game is worth $60. I have confirmed this by waiting for most games to drop down to $20, then I buy them, play them and ask myself, "would I have paid $60 for this?" nope. In every case, nope.

I have not paid $60 for a game since 1988. You say "$60 IN 1988!?!?!" Why yes, I bought the original Phantasy Star (still have it) and that was the first and last game worth $60.

Hell, I paid $30 for Samurai Shodown V last year and that game helped me renew my pact that I will NEVER pay over $20 for an Xbox game. it was the worst game I have ever played. It is quite amazing actually how fast these games fall from their $60 mark. Apparently there are fewer and fewer schmucks out there who buy everything on release day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.