AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite being a 'Home Theater in a Box',the Kenwood VR-407 packs a punch!

The problem I am having is with the front firing sub:

The SW-32HT sub-woofer has a built-in amplifier pumping 100 watts of juice. The 8-inch woofer is enclosed in a bass-reflex, downward-firing, ported enclosure.The sub-woofer really kicks butt when it comes to delivering the thunderous bass found on some of the best DVDs available.

I have turned the volume down on the sub to half way,turned it down to '0db' on the amp,and this thing still has the ability to drown out the ever so loud-earthquake helicopters that pass above during the day!

I'm looking for a way to either calm this monster down,or even replace it with something less aggressive.

Using bass shakers may not be in my best interest as I am in an apartment and wiring is tough.

I'm in the bottom floor and as my luck would have it,my upstairs dwellers have become the new asst. managers :(

I would appreciate any suggestions.:)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
"I'm looking for a way to either calm this monster down,or even replace it with something less aggressive."

Hmm...try pulling it away from the wall or maybe even say....turning it down more?:rolleyes: I dont know if you can get less than a 8" front/down

firing sub unless you buy a cheap no-name that does nothing but burp and fart when the action gets intense.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
DTS,

It would be best if you calibrated your sub (as well as your other speakers) so that it (and all) read 75db on a RS spl meter set to "C" and "Slow".

I have a 400 watt Bag End 18" sub and my volume level on the sub is set just above "1". Most folks set their sub volume too high. If you want more impact for movies, most preamps/receivers offer a sub volume control but you should not have to change the basic calibrated to 75db master sub volume.

Setting the volume to "halfway" seems very high.

Shelly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.