AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2928 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've personally sat on a chair at a high end home theatre store that had (2) two 25 watt shakers strategically mounted,

1/ centered between your knees and "Tucas" and

2/ one centered at the base of your ribs.

Wow, what a really great theatrical experience!, watching The 5th Element. The great thing about it was that they only came on during the LFE's.

I think anymore than two may be overkill, and a little overpowering but hey what do I know.

Jessica

·
Registered
445 Posts
OK, I am lost on all this wiring. I am pre wiring my theater room now and I just ordered my 4 Aura Pro Bass shakers from Parts express. I am trying to figure out what wires I need to run and what kind of amp I need. The Aura's are rated at 50 watts RMS/75 watts max. *Impedance: 4 ohms. I do not understand wiring in parallel vs Series.

Also how many times can I split the LEF single out of my Receiver? I need one to go to my SVS PB2 Plus and some or one to head to the AMP for the shakers. I have an old Yamaha 595A receiver I was thinking of using to drive the Shakers. The Yamaha has 70- watts to all five channels at 8 ohms. How could this work?

Thanks for any help.

- Scott

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
shine5555,

Go back to the first two posts of this thread I posted some SIMPLE diagrams that almost match your needs. I RECOMMEND trying the old reciever FIRST. Look at my drawings I'm did the same thing you are wanting to do. Set your old receiver to 2channel Stereo Mode (or a mono mode that goes equally to ALL channels).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37#post2975137

I don't know how many times you can split, with out noticable loss.

-----

The only difference between the pro and normal version is the speaker connections (and the total power). The Pro's appear to have the RCA style plugs. If you're receiver/amp output don't have that find some adaptors at RadioShak.

4x50W speakers=200 watts... I still think you should try old reciever first. AT full power they might be to strong anyways...

With the 4ohm speakers you NEED to wire in parallel as I showed.

----

If you buy a mono amp with only one output, post a new question on how to best hook them up...

----

PS to all I'll post some pictures later this weekend of the underside of chairs and the wiring.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Shine,

IF you are just PRE-WIRING, just run one set of wires to each seat/platform back to the receiver areaand work out the details in the near future.

IF that is to much wiring, run ONE + wire to the first speaker of a pair, then run the - wire to the second speaker and plug it into the +. Then run the - from the second speaker back to the receiver. That is how you run 2 speakers in PARALLEL on one channel.

PM and tell me how many speakers and what type of wire connectors on your OLD receiver and I will TRY to help and possibly make a sketch. Let me know how many seat and a general idea of placement. Does your old receiver have a 2channel Stereo or MONO mix mode? Are you using RCA from the SUB out on your "good" receiver like in my drawing?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Overkill is never a word used in our theater. But if you guys/gals (Jessica and Bob) feel 2 Pro Shakers will give me the "feel" of bass, I will just use 2.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
shine5555, how many decoders do you have? If you have a DVD player with a decoder, use the Woofer out for one LFE, and if you use a pre/pro (audio-video preamp processor) as well, use the LFE/SUB out for the other sub woofer. In pro audio channels are daisy-chained a lot.

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
I was thinking of a Parts Express 250 watt (@ 4 ohms) plate amp (the kind with the remote controled volume and cross over setting) and four Aura Pro shakers for now.

I do have one free channel on my Samson amp (the other drives an SVS sub), but it's rated at 350 watts/channel at 4 ohms and 230 watts at 8 ohms, with no easy way to add an adjustable crossover (except a passive, fixed inline low pass FMOD) and the volume cannot be controlled via remote (I'm sure that adds some frustration when fine tuning).

Is that a good start, or am I missing something (too little amp power if I add more or too much power)? Does anyone have a simple diagram for running four Aura Pros using a 4 ohm load?

Anyone have some experience with the remote controlled sub plate amp listed here?:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15985&DID=7

Parts Express has free shipping until Monday, so I need some help ASAP!

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dan, great color and creativity in your web site. Are you North of Denver? I would love to make a trip up there.

I like the 300-793 from PE. Plenty of power for 4 Pros. The IR VC and crossover adjustments is great. Class AB is a plus as well. You could mount the IR eye (receiver)near a Xantech, or Niles IR repeater system receiver.

Here is Bobs schematic for 4 Shakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...137&fullpage=1

Here is a diagram you could double up by Aura:

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
hometheaterguy,

Thanks for the compliment on my first web site. I'm still in the learning stage on some of this HTML code, and would like to get Frontpage XP as it adds a lot of built-in "pro-grade" look and feel without being a web design expert, which I am not.

Any idea on whether this amp will take 6 Aura Pros okay? While I'm taking Parts Express up on their free shipping offer I thought I might add a couple extra for the heck of it (and who knows when they'll run out of their clearance shakers). Do you have an idea about adding the two extra shakers to these schematics (thanks by the way for the links)?

Also, did you find the 300-793's built in 12 dB/octave cross over steep enough? I was thinking of getting an FMOD 50 Hz low pass filter and adding it to create a ~24 dB/octave slope in case I still get shaking from slamming doors, etc. which isn't very realistic.

Yeah, I'm up here in Fort Collins, and have everything crammed into a small living room in a house I'm sharing right now. Talk about overly cozy!

Dan

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
I decided to go with just four shakers for now, but I did get a pair of 50 Hz low pass filters just in case (I'll just use one).

The one thing about that plate amp is how are the speaker wires attached in the back (the open ended part with the exposed circuit boards)? Are there special plugs I need to get?

Also, the thing about Bob's diagram is that he's using stereo amps, whereas the plate amp is, I'm assuming, set up to power one sub driver in mono. How would you hook up four shakers at 4 ohms then?

I could use all the help I can get.

Dan

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dan, I am doing the same thing as you are. 4 Pros and looking to see what base plate you order (before 6:00pm) for free shipping. "What 50 Hz low pass filters " did you get?

- Scott

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
Scott,

I went with the 50 Hz FMOD low pass in-line RCA filters and this amp from Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15985&DID=7

I don't really need remote controlled cross overs (you usually just adjust them to taste and forget it), but the remote volume control will make things so much easier if the amp winds up in another room, and/or if I want to adjust the intensity of the "rumble" from my seat.

Good luck! The next step in audio/visual stimulus is about to begin!

-----------

Still any suggestions on wiring 4 Pros with a 4 ohm load off of a mono plate amp?

Thanks again!

Dan

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The suggestions for the dorm bass-shaker wiring so far all have a slight problem. The problem is that the bass-shakers will not get equal power delivered to them from the amplifier.

In one example drawn in an earlier post, with two 8 ohm groups in series with a single 4 ohm driver, the single shaker will get HALF of the power of the amplifier, the other 4 will split the other HALF of the power between them. (In other words, they each get 1/16th of the power) Now, it is true that the impedance presented to the receiver is great, but the difference in shaking between the chairs will result in a rather poor implementation. (in my opinion)

The situation is even worse with the drawing of 9 shakers (three sets of three) in series with 1 shaker. Now we have 1/18th the power to most of the shakers, and half in the other.

A better solution would be to deliver EQUAL power to each of the shakers. I can only think of three (easy) ways to get there. None are perfect. One is outright bad.

BAD - NOT RECOMMENDED

Wire 5 of the drivers in parallel to the left channel of the amplifier, and 5 in parallel to the right channel. This would result in an impedance of somewhere .8 ohms. (that connection results in less than one ohm impedance and will probably harm the output transistors in most amplifiers if run at any volume)

BETTER

Wire 5 of the shakers in series. 5 x 4 ohms results in a 20 ohm load. Connect it to the left channel, wire another 5 in series to the right channel. The disadvantage of this is that the amplifier will not nearly deliver as much power output (only about a third actually) as if it had an 8 ohm load, it will be an easy load for the amplifier. If things shake enough... you are done.

BETTER - and what I would try first

Take 5 of of the shakers and wire them in series. Do the same with the other 5 shakers. Each set is 20 ohms. Parallel both sets and connect them to ONE channel of your amplifier, leaving the other channel unused. The series-paralleled sets will result in an impedance of 10 ohms and allow your amplifier to deliver most of its rated output. and each shaker will get the same amount of power.

BEST

Take up a collection at your dorm... buy two more shakers. You should be able to find a pair for about $30. (NOW you have 12 shakers) Find two more chairs and invite two more friends... have them bring the popcorn/drinks. Then, wire three shakers in series, connect them in parallel with another three in series and connect the six to one channel of your amplifier. This will be a 6 ohm load and your amplifier will probably drive it easily. Do the same with the other 6 shakers. Connect to the other channel of the amp.

Code:
Code:
Amplifier (one channel illustrated)
                                +        -
   ------------------------------|        |--------------------------------
   |                                                                      |
   +--------[+==-]------------------[+==-]-----------------[+==-]---------+
   +--------[+==-]------------------[+==-]-----------------[+==-]---------+

[+==-]  = bass shaker
You do not have to go crazy keeping track of polarity of the shakers. It does not really matter since each is on a different chair. (And if you can tell that your dorm-mate's chair is moving/vibrating upward when yours is moving/vibrating downward, you are probably sitting too close...) It is different when you have multiple speaker cones all trying to move the air in the room. Then, you want the cones to all be moving in the same direction at the same time, and polarity matters. With shakers, you will not be able to tell.

At least with this wiring scheme, all the seats are vibrating the same amount and the amplifier is seeing a reasonable load.

Edited to fix drawing and description....

Joe L.

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
So, if I want four 4 ohm shakers on a mono plate amp and be able to have the amp still see a 4 ohm load, and have all the shakers have equal power going to each, I should wire in series/parallel... correct?

So, I guess I need some speaker wire connection screw on crimps now and some electrical tape!

Dan

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dan,

Exactly correct.

Two in parallel would result in a 2 ohm load. Then, two parallel sets in series would give you a 4 ohm load. (perfect for most plate amps)

This would also provide equal power distribution to the shakers. (the flaw I saw with some of the previous 10 shaker solutions suggested in this thread)

Joe L.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Joe L,

I have a quick question.

I'm considering adding my extra pair of "normal" shakers to my setup (with the stereo prologic amp).

I'm thinking of adding one to each channel to make a 3 shaker series on each channel at 12ohm each. Will this damage anything or just reduce the overall power to each?

I also want to make the 3 pair easy to dis-connect. Any problems with this as long as the power is off? (The 3rd pair would go on "guest" glider chairs that might be moved around or removed from the room occasionally...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
bob_vdi

That would work just fine. You would end up with a 12 ohm load on your amplifier, and its total power output would be a bit less, but it would not damage anything.

Most amplifiers do not like their outputs shorted when they are turned on, so make your connections with the power turned off.

Joe L.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
I know these (Shakers) are 4 ohms at 25 watts each, and would love to have the front two rows (6) shakers on one channel and the last row (4) shakers on the other channel.

Jessica,

Re-reading your initial post, and giving this a bit more thought, you could connect six of the shakers as I originally described to one channel. (two sets of three shakers in series. Three in series = 12 ohms. Two sets of three in series then paralleled would be 6 ohms. Put that on one channel on your stereo amplifier. Then, four in series/parallel would give you a 4 ohm set. Put that on your other channel.

Lastly (and it did not occur to me till now) adjust the balance control on the amplifier so the front set are vibrating as strongly as the set on the rear row. This way, you do not have to buy any additional shakers, and any money you collected from your dorm-mates can be used for more beer/soda/popcorn/etc.

Attached is a crude drawing showing the wiring.

Joe L.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dan, I will have to come up to Fort Collins someday.

I agree with Joe: series/parallel wiring on a bridged plate amp. Using banana plug adapters on a 5-way binding post can help resist corrosion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks everyone for a great thread - it seems like the bass shaker install question comes up every few weeks. Well I am about to add my request for advice to the mix. I appreciate your advice.

What I have - (6) 50 watt Aura pro bass shakers.

(3) recliners

(1) couch

(1) 500 watt 5.1 stereo to drive the bass shakers

(1) HK 525 stereo for regular speakers

My current plan is to run a Y cable splitting the LFE from my HK to the sub and my 500 watt stereo. I plan to add a second Y RCA cable to the input line on the 500 watt stereo to get a Left and Right signal.

I then plan to wire (1) bass shaker to each recliner and (3) to the couch.

I plan to wire the shakers in series in pairs as outputs for the Left/Right/Center speaker runs from the stereo. Each output is rated 100 watts so I think I should get 100 watts at 8 ohms for each channel by running the 50 watt bass shakers at 4 ohms in series.

Does this sound correct or is there a better way?

Thank you in advance.

21 - 40 of 2928 Posts